Bluetooth Headphones

jocejrod

i have a pair of some sony bluetooth headphones, and was wondering if they would be compatible with pandora to listen to music or game noises or what have you. i ask this because pandora has bluetooth 2.0 and my headphones are bluetooth 2.1. i'm kinds of nubs, so i don't really know how this all works out. also, if it does work out nice and dandy, would i be able to customize the buttons on the headphones to basically whatever i want?
my headphones

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5
even though im pretty sure it'll work, same as my blutooth a2dp LG headphones

A quote from Wikipedia (never figured out how to use those box things.)

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Bluetooth Core Specification Version 2.1 + EDR is fully backward compatible with 1.2, and was adopted by the Bluetooth SIG on July 26, 2007

Yeah, if it works on any linux it'll work with this. the bluetooth can handle 2.1 devices.

Willrandship said:

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Bluetooth Core Specification Version 2.1 + EDR is fully backward compatible with 1.2, and was adopted by the Bluetooth SIG on July 26, 2007

Yeah, if it works on any linux it'll work with this. the bluetooth can handle 2.1 devices.
see, i take that to mean, that if pandora had 2.1 bluetooth, then it can support anything below that. but since 2.1 is higher than 2.0 that means that my headphones are in the future and can't be used by pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
joce said:
Willrandship said:

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

see, i take that to mean, that if pandora had 2.1 bluetooth, then it can support anything below that. but since 2.1 is higher than 2.0 that means that my headphones are in the future and can't be used by pandora

Yes but because they are spec-compatible, it depends whether the headphones use any of the features added in 2.1 or not. It's like how most USB ports are 2.0 as well as 1.1. If you have a product that is USB 1.1 you can say "compatible with most USB 2.0 ports" even though the device itself doesn't use USB 2. In some cases, such as the Pandora, it only runs 2.0 on the USB port and not 1.1 also, so these USB 1.1 devices wouldn't work. If the headphones say they're compatible with bluetooth 2.1 but they only use 2.0 features then they'll work fine, I'm pretty sure the radio part of 2.0 is forward compatible to 2.1 its just the features that aren't. Eg. between USB 1 and USB1.1 they increased speed but you could use USB 1.1 devices with USB1 ports. But when they went to 2.0 they broke backwards compatibility so most computers have both usb 1.1 and usb 2 on a port. Now USB 3 is out and it breaks backwards compatibility too, so most ports will be running USB 1.1 2.0 and 3.0 simultaneously. Bluetooth 2.0 to 2.1 appears to be the same as USB 1.0 to 1.1 - they didn't change the transfer mode, just added features. Bluetooth 3 devices may not work with Pandora though unless the device itself also has support for 2.0.

I don't know anything about this though, that's just my interperetation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd imagine the biggest question is whether there's a sound/audio manager setting that allows it to put put to Bluetooth devices. If it's got that It shouldnt be a problem if it sees the device when it searches the device will tell the Pandora what it supports, if the pandora doesnt know what one of the new 2.1 features are it just wont use that feature.

Back