Bluetooth Upgrade?

File transfer over BT isn't really an option when you got USB or a card reader. BT is probably best used for multiplay and internet. There's also a bunch of BT equipment out there that could be fun.

BTW, anyone tried to get internet working through the USB yet?

Digital Awakening posted on Dec 11 2005 at 08:58 PM said:
File transfer over BT isn't really an option when you got USB or a card reader. BT is probably best used for multiplay and internet. There's also a bunch of BT equipment out there that could be fun.

BTW, anyone tried to get internet working through the USB yet?

NO USB HOST!!!!!

I assume you would have to write a PC side program, and a GP2X side program, and it would be a crap shoot.

Update, USB host appears to be in the EXT connector.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's not all that fun if you're tethered to a computer with a usb cord anyway.. It would be a nice start though.

Bluetooth dongles allow internet access by using your PC as an access point. Like with my nokia Ngage ^^ - More than likely software will need to developed for it to be able to be used, though. Like the Ngage uses 'GNUBox'

Update:

USB HOST!!!

It appears that the usb host is now on the EXT, as well as the MMSP2 device usb.

Good news for hardware people, I want to see HID compliant joypad drivers.

Host on the EXT? Where did you find that info and does it work on the first batch?

BTW, internet access through USB linked to a PC is better then no internet and cheaper then the BT expansion. Internet can be used for things like highscore lists, downloads and multiplay.

Snagzy posted on Dec 18 2005 at 10:18 PM said:
Bluetooth dongles allow internet access by using your PC as an access point. Like with my nokia Ngage ^^ - More than likely software will need to developed for it to be able to be used, though. Like the Ngage uses 'GNUBox'

1. You bought an Ngage?! WTF is wrong with you?

2. Bluetooth Doesn't allow connections to access points... You're thinking of IEEE 802.11 which the Ngage also has... Bluetooth is a way to simply connect devices wirelessly... it's much better for local multiplayer than 802.11

FFNoir posted on Dec 19 2005 at 06:59 PM said:
2. Bluetooth Doesn't allow connections to access points... You're thinking of IEEE 802.11 which the Ngage also has... Bluetooth is a way to simply connect devices wirelessly... it's much better for local multiplayer than 802.11

Not true. I access the internet on my zodiac through a Bluetooth access point plugged into my router. Works quite well.

Igboo

so can someone clear all this up, what does "USB host throuhh EXT" mean? isnt EXT a totally different kind of connector to USB?

FFNoir posted on Dec 20 2005 at 12:59 AM said:

Yeahr but... no but... yeahr but...

You could connect to the PC, tunnel IP over that BT connection, and the PC could in turn function as a gateway to send those packets on to the internet and collect responses.

Would a require a bunch of dedicated software, but it is certainly possible, and judging from the replies by Snagzy and igboo, has been done before.

Honestly this was marketed with the Zodiac as well. Bluetooth multiplayer gaming. A device such as the Zodiac and GP2x are so uncommon that it is not likely that you will know many other people who own one that lives in your area. Now, bluetooth wifi or SDIO wifi with the GP2x browsing the web would be ideal or wifi gaming over the internet.

Wolfspirit posted on Dec 21 2005 at 06:51 PM said:
Honestly this was marketed with the Zodiac as well. Bluetooth multiplayer gaming. A device such as the Zodiac and GP2x are so uncommon that it is not likely that you will know many other people who own one that lives in your area. Now, bluetooth wifi or SDIO wifi with the GP2x browsing the web would be ideal or wifi gaming over the internet.
I see DCGM all the time. Thats one person to play bluetooth with.

I can guerentee that the second UQM has multiplayer is the second i will get people a half dozen people i know addicted to the thing...

/e drools at the thought

Back