Bob The Amazing Lemon V0.2

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
Well, apparently it's not allowed to link to reviews on other websites here (my previous posts that did this were moved to general forums, even though this post did the same thing and inexplicably was not moved). Anyway, the original review (with screenshots) is posted on GP32World.

Here's the "lite" version of the review ;) :

Bob the Amazing Lemon by Woogal

Overview
BTAL is a gp32 remake of a game that Woogal originally wrote for the Amiga in about '93. It's a little bit like Pacman (though not quite), but with many different levels and some special features and "powerups". Actually, it's a bit like what I thought Pacman should be like. ;) Your mission is to eat all of the dots while avoiding the ghosts, and then go to the "exit" (which will turn red once you've eaten all of the dots).

Features
- 32 levels
- types of surface: floor, slippy, deadly, dot, wall, dots that are actually walls, bonus (randomly appears somewhere), appearing walls (seem to be dots but turn into walls once you walk over them; good for hiding from ghosts!), disappearing walls (go away after a while)
- bonuses: speed, free life, disquise, walls to floor, walls to dots, dots to floor
- level select
- 4 different themes: modern, iso, amiga, resbobs
- choice of MOD music while playing (one MOD file is included, author unknown)

Pros
- excellent game idea. Pacman, but with many levels.
- Themes. :) Themes are good! My favourites are "modern" and "amiga".
- inventive surfaces and powerups
- good level design (mostly)

Cons
- some levels rely on luck, not skill. For example, the level "runbobby" relies entirely on you finding a bonus on the way that will allow you to backtrack and get those first 3 dots.
- those walls that look like dots can be very annoying, especially in later levels. It would be REALLY nice if they turned another colour once you bumped into them once, so that you can remember later on which dots are dots and which dots are walls.
- the ISO theme doesn't look as good as the other themes (bob from the back especially doesn't look right)
- MORE themes are needed! (because they're fun)

Overall
This game is simple, but strangely fun and addictive; it's been on my SMC for about a year now. It has that trademark Woogal-customizability going for it, as well as a great game idea, good graphics, and addictive (if slightly harsh) music.

Gameplay: 8
Graphics: 8
Sound: 8
Level Design: 6
Replayability: 9
Overall: 8

Last edited by a moderator:
I always meant to try BTAL... i think 'the new adventures of peuppy' put me off... PDROMS really should have reviews...

Back