Making Bob Case

tomj

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I am in the proccess of designing a case for my bob which will be made out of 2mm acrylic. When I was looking at the bob there is one screw hole with two small dots of solder very close to it. I assume this is 0V so when a metal case is used the internals are sheilded from interference. The case i am designing is plastic however would it be possible to line it with tin foil and would this work.

Two other small things does anyone know what would have been placed at CON3 on the PCB and there apears to be jumper on the board (i think thats what it called if its not called that it like the thing you get at the back of a CD drive to select master slave cable select). I could not see it listed in the interface manual.

Here is my copy of the bob which i am going to build the case around.

any suggestions would be welcomed thanks

I dont think you really need to wrap it in tin foil, all device are designed (or should be) to give off little emf. So most likley any device you purchased will not interfere with your bob.
Also i dont think tin foil is going to shield you from emf (in order to really shield I think you would have to use somethin like lead.)

I recomend plexiglass. I made a computer case out of the stuff awhile ago and it was really cool. You could attach a small lowvoltage light up fan inside too nad make it all pimp and stuff. The foil is poinless. If it works without a case at all, i think you have nothing to worry about.

I haven't had any problems with it sitting on my desk. Tin foil would be difficult to do. It also means that i would have to mount the led's somewhere else which i dont really want to have to do. thanks for the advice

I recomend plexiglass. I made a computer case out of the stuff awhile ago and it was really cool. You could attach a small lowvoltage light up fan inside too nad make it all pimp and stuff. The foil is poinless. If it works without a case at all, i think you have nothing to worry about.

I have been thinking of making mine out this stuff...
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...h&doy=17m11

the only problem I have with it is it cools and hardens really quickly
but for joins it wields to itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
But then you'd have your BOB case melting whenever you take a trip to a tropical country. :(

- Alex

But then you'd have your BOB case melting whenever you take a trip to a tropical country
I dont think that the polymorph would melt in a tropical becasue it take quite a lot of heat you cant just use hot tap water at 50'C to get it to soften and go clear it needs to be more like 80-90'C. You could also use it to make a more comfortable grip similar to this for the psp. It might be possible to add a couple of self powered usb ports for on the go internet (i know there are a lot of problems however http://www.artaylor.co.uk/~richard/gp2x/ claims to have done it)

PSP_grip_web.jpg

Back