Problem Connecting A Zen To Bob..

redcheeks1977

Still Fresh
Help! my gp2x is not recognising my creative zen xtra when plugged thru the bob. I know the gp2x and cable are working as it works with a usb pen attached to bob. I am getting the green light when the zen is attached, but nothing onscreen. I know zilch about linux, and am guessing i need to install a driver. Any help wud be great. GP2x rocks by the way.

redcheeks1977 posted on Oct 3 2006 at 02:44 PM said:
Help! my gp2x is not recognising my creative zen xtra when plugged thru the bob. I know the gp2x and cable are working as it works with a usb pen attached to bob. I am getting the green light when the zen is attached, but nothing onscreen. I know zilch about linux, and am guessing i need to install a driver. Any help wud be great. GP2x rocks by the way.

Looking at the wikipeadia for the "zen xtra". You need special drivers/software to access the device.
So yeah, its a driver thing, and no I dont think the drivers exists for the arm architecture....yet.....

But you can look around for a program called gnomad2 thats what will allow you to gain access to your device on the gp2x if it works on arm devices. :)

Edit: I lied, you need libnjb first and then gnomad or like program to use your JB

Last edited by a moderator:
Aimless_E posted on Oct 3 2006 at 09:12 PM said:
redcheeks1977 posted on Oct 3 2006 at 02:44 PM said:

Looking at the wikipeadia for the "zen xtra". You need special drivers/software to access the device.
So yeah, its a driver thing, and no I dont think the drivers exists for the arm architecture....yet.....

But you can look around for a program called gnomad2 thats what will allow you to gain access to your device on the gp2x if it works on arm devices. :)

Yeah i saw the gnomad2 program, and downloaded it, but i have no idea what to do with it. i trsndferred it onto my sd card, but it doesnt run using 'utils' option. help???

:)
Two reasons gnomad isnt working:

1.Though your GP2X runs linux its not running a "Desktop/Server" version of linux. Gnomad (now that Ive looked closer at it) requires GTK(its a tool kit for applications on linux) in turn GTK requires the X window system to work.

It IS possible to use both(GTK and X) on the gp2x but it is slow and complicated and beyond the scope of your question.

2.Your GP2X isn't built with an i386 compatible processor [AMD,Intel,VIA]. It uses a special low voltage CPU known as an ARM. So any program that runs on the GP2X must first be recompiled to run on the ARM architecture then you can put it on the SD card and it "should" work. Given all the program requires is also ARM ready.

Sorry redcheeks1977, but it looks like it might be more trouble than its worth. :(

Aimless_E posted on Oct 3 2006 at 09:52 PM said:
:)
Two reasons gnomad isnt working:

1.Though your GP2X runs linux its not running a "Desktop/Server" version of linux. Gnomad (now that Ive looked closer at it) requires GTK(its a tool kit for applications on linux) in turn GTK requires the X window system to work.

It IS possible to use both(GTK and X) on the gp2x but it is slow and complicated and beyond the scope of your question.

2.Your GP2X isn't built with an i386 compatible processor [AMD,Intel,VIA]. It uses a special low voltage CPU known as an ARM. So any program that runs on the GP2X must first be recompiled to run on the ARM architecture then you can put it on the SD card and it "should" work. Given all the program requires is also ARM ready.

Sorry redcheeks1977, but it looks like it might be more trouble than its worth. :(

Ah well. Thanks a million for your advice though, saved me a lot of head-scratching!

Maybe someone knows of a reasonably priced hdd(maybe a 2.5"laptop type) that is compatible with the gp2x?

Sadly some (at least my) Zen isn't a "proper USB device" and needs special drivers.
Some players, once thier firmware is upgraded, are just simple USB devices but not all... Bit of a pain, but you get used to it.

Back