Newbie Questions, About To Buy A Gp2x

Hippo

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
NEWBIE ALERT!

Hi. Im almost ready to buy a GP2X, I've chosen it over the PSP for a few reasons but I would like some help with a couple of questions.

1. The BOB. I've looked into this and it looks to provide great I/O in a simple package. The MK2 can power the BOB, correct?

2. The BOB. Apart from the TV-OUT function, attaching keyb/mouse/USB HDD and unbricking is there any other reason to have the BOB?

3. The BOB. Its a 'unboxed' version at the moment and Im fine with that, I've hacked and tinkered with enough things in my time to make a box. However the front page shows an article relating to a release version of the BOB. Is this vapourware or something that will actually hit the shelves? Should I hold off on buying a BOB now?

4. Emulation. Street Fighter is going to be a killer app for me, what platform is best emulated for this. I've read a little and the genesis/megadrive looks to be very well emulated under the GP2X. Does Street Fighter work well under DrMDx?

5. Homebrew/Tinkering. Im a perenial tinkerer, always looking for my next fix. Since I know next to nothing about linux how easy it is to get under the hood, so to speak and tinker? Are the development tools good enough to be writing games/software easily?

The one thing I have to say about the GP2X is the great community. Having an opensource console of sorts makes for great things. The wish-list for me would be to see a functional PSX emulator running ridge racer well enough to rub it in the faces of the PSP brigade.

Thanks in advance for your help.

5. Homebrew/Tinkering. Im a perenial tinkerer, always looking for my next fix. Since I know next to nothing about linux how easy it is to get under the hood, so to speak and tinker? Are the development tools good enough to be writing games/software easily?

Hell yeah. You can code an SDL game up on Windows or OSX, and compile for GP2X without touching or bothering about the linux layer. Move into the linux side of the GP2X as you feel more comfortable about it ..

That said, tinker-wise, you have an infinite horizon with Linux, and F/OSS on the GP2X in general. Don't forget that a lot of stuff that makes the GP2X so fun is not linux-specific, at all ..

1) All devices that need high voltage should use an external power supply unit for the BOB.

2) Multiplayer, 4 players in mame rocks, you can also use a usb wi fi stick (some chips) and get wireless internet on your sexy black box.

3) Ok it is been a very long time since we were promised with the boxed version of the BOB that many now believe it is a vapourware, but I believe it is real, and the news source is trusted this time, EvilDragon the german distributor (why are the best guys are always name ED? ED Boon of Midway and ED here, guess a third ED will be impossible) but for me I got an unboxed version, since it is part of the fun to box it yourself and post the photos here.

4) Am not sure if it is the best version, this is a matter of preference, but I guess it is the most playable (am talking about Super Street Fighter 2 on MegaDrive, ordinary Street Fighter 2 works already on many emulators)

5) This has been already answered, and I guess that seeing many people here lready developing games without even knowing c or c++ means that you are safe, the first and most important step is to pick your development chain tools and do your best to set them up the way they make you feel comfortable, as for me I am trying to concentrate on developing desktop tools that will be used to facilitate the use of GP2X (Ok I know that I have only released one tiny tool called text fitter, and that I haven't updated it with the requested features yet, but I promise I will :) )

I guess we can beat the PSP boys easily, just try one of those tests with anyone who says a bad word about your GP2X when you get it:
- We will drop both on the ground and see which one will survive :D
- Can your PSP tv out crystal clear? na? :D :D :D
- Why would anyone DOWNgrade? it is just stupid :p
- How much did you say you paid for that 4GB Duo Stick?

No really, you are making the right choice, welcome to the community.

Back