Breakout Board Video Interference

clean_sandwich

Still Fresh
hey guys,

i am having a problem with the video out on my breakout board.

for some reason every time i try to use it, there are some small lines moving from top to bottom and a faint ghost outline of everything in the menus slightly beside them. and when i plug in the audio cables, not just the svideo, it goes away a bit...

but when i try to use my hdd and watch a movie or do anthing, as soon at it accesses the drive, a whole bunch of small lines scatter all over the screen. it seems to always be when alot of information is going through the board, it gets worse.

is my breakout board defective? or some other reason? i wanted the board so i could watch all my divx movies on my tv and off the drive through my gp2x. but i cant with all those lines all over the place.

is there some sort of fix i could use or is anyone else having those lines too?

I can't get my breakout board to properly output video out all, though I was chalking that up to my crappy old TV and/or the RF modulator that I have to use with it... heh.

hey guys,

i am having a problem with the video out on my breakout board.

for some reason every time i try to use it, there are some small lines moving from top to bottom and a faint ghost outline of everything in the menus slightly beside them. and when i plug in the audio cables, not just the svideo, it goes away a bit...

but when i try to use my hdd and watch a movie or do anthing, as soon at it accesses the drive, a whole bunch of small lines scatter all over the screen. it seems to always be when alot of information is going through the board, it gets worse.

is my breakout board defective? or some other reason? i wanted the board so i could watch all my divx movies on my tv and off the drive through my gp2x. but i cant with all those lines all over the place.

is there some sort of fix i could use or is anyone else having those lines too?
It really sounds like a ground or shielding problem. Either the video isn't properly wrapped in a ground, or it is next to a data line. OR the whole board isn't getting enough grounding/is connecting a bunch of the ground pins and using too few ground wires.

I don't know what you could do about that, possibly shoving a bit of card stock in next to the connector ala my TV-Out fix in the file archives, or maybe solidly grounding a bit of wire to the BoB and then touching it to the GP2X at a ground point, possibly the USB or Power input ground.

Very possible. On a side note, it may be a bit bigger, but a used softmodded Xbox on ebay is a much cheaper/better Divx player (LAN support, Hard drive, Etc, etc). I am not saying that the GP2X isn't neat and all, but for the price of just the BoB an xbox is a hugely better TV media player.

Last edited by a moderator:
that does sound like a good idea, but how would i go about grounding it? i am thinking that will fix the problem.

or at least find a case to put the bob into. or fashion one somehow. any ideas?

ok, i think its staric that is the problem. its alot of interference and when i place the board in certain spots or certain angles, the lines go away a bit. anyone else with a breakout board experience this on their tv's?

ok, i think its staric that is the problem. its alot of interference and when i place the board in certain spots or certain angles, the lines go away a bit. anyone else with a breakout board experience this on their tv's?
Perhaps one of the connection on the board itself is lose, did you check all the soldering points?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back