• A connector on its own, or with an unterminated cable attached

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A connector and unpopulated breakout PCB

• The all-singing all-dancing breakout board in a case

• Total voters

WizardStan said:
I'm not convinced that rapidly accelerating your Pandora to 88 miles per hour is a good idea.
And where the hell are we going to get a power supply that can handle the necessary 1.21 GIGAWATTS?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
All you really need is access to the points on the EXT connector. If you want to add other stuff, that is your prerogative. There is no point in sending the cost of the board through the roof adding components you can get elsewhere for less.

Or maybe they could produce a PCB with everything including the kitchen sink on it, but only the basics are populated. If you want anything else, you populate the appropriate section of the board yourself.

I'm not sure why Michael wants to stay away from fine pitched parts - they are not exactly difficult to solder if you use the leaded stuff and some flux, plus there are many tutorials on the web.

Maybe for the real developers out there (;)), Michael can just put the gerbers on the website and we'll produce our own boards - less work for him then, and no worries about how many they would sell. It also kills the wondering about exactly how to connect everything up (Ok, that's probably a challenge to some people, but I just prefer something that works. Making board after board is just no fun and gets tedious quickly).

WarmFluffyUK said:
Excellent, are there any plans to develop the breakout board further, i.e design a case for it, and sell it as an add on?
Heck, I'd preorder one of those too!

Please make it possible to obtain just the plug in a small housing with a strain relief.

Illuminerdi said:
WizardStan said:
I'm not convinced that rapidly accelerating your Pandora to 88 miles per hour is a good idea.
And where the hell are we going to get a power supply that can handle the necessary 1.21 GIGAWATTS?!?

I may know a Libyan or two...

What is the connector on the right? Is this a VGA output????

mcobit said:
What is the connector on the right? Is this a VGA output????
There is no VGA output, just SVideo, so 480i at best.

j.pickens said:
Sorry, no VGA, dual 9 pin RS-232.
Doesn't the connector on the Pandora side have 14 pins? How do you fit 2x RS-232 ports AND the video out?

I assume the case would be similar in width and length to the Pandora, so one can place the Pandora neatly on top of it.

Also, the following extras would be nice:

A-one or more cheap D/S ADC's
B-a simple LED-array
C-maybe even a small LCD in the front, for monitoring with the Pandora's lid closed (imagine the Pandora sitting on it's breakout-box next to your TV or stereo).
D-An infrared receiver (no IrDA) would be great for use with any remote control.

I think C and D are the most useful, however C would somewhat increase the cost, but also the system's entertainment value.

It is unlikely that your suggestions will be taken as there are no spare pins on the ext connector for your suggestions.

However, you can get usb versions of them, so hopefully that'll satisfy you.

By Zeus, OP! You would open pandora's box? By sweet Aphrodite herself, the consequences could be terrible!

Or even perhaps use, oh my god, UART 2 with a pic chip as a UART-GPIO interface, running the IRDA stuff on the PIC, or even passing it through, verry possible to do.

ashaw said:
Or even perhaps use, oh my god, UART 2 with a pic chip as a UART-GPIO interface, running the IRDA stuff on the PIC, or even passing it through, verry possible to do.
Very possible indeed...however I guess things like that will have to be retrofitted by geeks like myself. I hope they leave enough space in the breakout box and keep the price down (so I could buy a couple of them).

And oh, there's already a PIC on the PCB? Will it remain in the final version? It looks like an 18F14k50 or something, is this correct?

Lucidan said:
And oh, there's already a PIC on the PCB? Will it remain in the final version? It looks like an 18F14k50 or something, is this correct?

Where? All I see is a voltage level shifter on the BoB.

Squidge said:
Lucidan said:

Where? All I see is a voltage level shifter on the BoB.
My bad. I swore I saw a Microchip logo on that IC :unsure: ...indeed there's no PIC on the PCB.

Back