Bubsy

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one

Title.gif

Review
And here is the news. Earth is under attack by a race of ruthless aliens called, the Woolies. The UK defence system has joined the USA in a bid to thwart the Woolies in their attempt to steal the worlds supply of balls of wool. Er excuse me, did you say wool? Yes Wool!
Cameras today filming a wool theft in progress, caught sight of a cat being sucked up into the space ship. God rest his furry soul.

Whoooweee what a story…. They should make a B film of this!!!

Anyway, before you think I have just gone insane in the ole’ membrane here, this is the plot of Bubsy, a cute game that’s pretty much cross platform in the old days of the 16 bit consoles!

Screen1.gif
Bubsy
Bubsy.gif

He’s a cat with attitude, his one liners slice through your chuckle muscles like a spoon through concrete. It’s up to Bubsy to stop the aliens nicking all the worlds supply of wool. “BALLS” I hear you shout. Yes that right, they are stealing balls of wool!

Aliens
WeeBeastie.gif

These are mad, and come in all shapes and sizes. From big nosed ones with killer hair, to rampant pianos that plink around sounding the way a concert pianist doesn’t. First time I played this game, I almost died laughing at the sheer stupid’ness of them all. Why the heck do they want to steal all our wool we will never know, but I think the point is that they are criminals, and have got to be stopped goddamit!

Graphics
As Mr Burns would say “Eeeeexelent”. Lovely bright colourful backdrops with superb sprite animations. Bubsy himself has a mass of ways to die, and the aliens really look alive and ‘nicking’.

Screen2.gif
Screen3.gif
Screen4.gif
The game looks fab and is one lovely looking platformer.
9/10

Sound
I thought the sound was very cute. Even though He’s a cat, Bubsy sounds a little bit like bugs bunny.
The music is catchy and boppy, and the aliens make the appropriate crash, bop and tinkle noises. Although the audio isn’t the games strongest point, it very much makes it fun!
Listen to Bubsy
8/10

Game Play
It’s a 2D platformer, jump on Aliens to kill em, bounce on springy tree branches, float down from heights and even ride roller coasters. This game has it all. It even has the old Sonic speedup as He runs down ramps! The difficulty level can get annoying sometimes though as you will find yourself dying a lot. But you’re a cat with 9 lives, and if you pick up white T shirts, you get more lives! It’s pretty forgiving really.
9/10

GP32
The best version I have seen runs on DrMD. It’s VERY faithful to the version I love on the SNES. Even has Bubsys voice! Go on, give it a try!!!
10/10

Overall
Exceedingly fun. Excellent platformer that can get a little difficult quite quickly. But there’s something about this game that keeps dragging me back for more. Guess it’s one of my fave games!!!
8.5/10

Yeah I used to play Bubsy round a friends house. Good memories.
BTW we never used to get past the first level before I had to go though...

Nice review, sounds like something cool to try out. :)

Did anyone play the PC version as there was a playable 25 minute cartoon if you collected all of a certain item in the game but the episode was available as a media format on the CD itself.

Did anyone play the PC version as there was a playable 25 minute cartoon if you collected all of a certain item in the game but the episode was available as a media format on the CD itself.

Yeah, my parents bought me LBA, but then decided it was too violent and made me exchange it for Bubsy. *sigh*

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved this game! I own the PC version, andplay it often. SVGA graphics and DirectX Sound make it really super-fine. I have to find it for Genesis so I can hunt it down for DrMD. Would love to play this game on the go.... *Nod*

Back