Build Quality, Gp2x Vs. Gp32

Which do you think has a higher build quality?

• GP32

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GP2X

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Well, I had a FLU GP32, and sold it when the BLU units came out.

BLU > FLU, but I wound up with a dead R-Shoulder button, which I had to fix, and no matter what .. I HATED that damn clicky stick and the whole case felt flimsy and cheap.

The GP2X feels nicer in the hands, and despite its problems, I still prefer the silent stick :)

... so yeah, I voted for the '2X .. but just barely .. both systems suck/rock in their own ways ;)

My BLU had the dodgy shoulder button problem when I forst got it (just shoved a bit of tape in there to hold the metal in place) but other than that, it's much nicer than the GP2X. The stick is much better for nearly every game designed for a d-pad, it's more comfortable to hold and is made of more rigid plastic - the GP2X shell can bend if you hold it too tight. The battery compartment isn't a slide off one (which I like) and has proper springs. There are no silly rubber covers over the various ports and there is a volume knob and the headphone socket is positioned in a more sensible place (you don't need cables trailing across the screen).

Orkie said:
...and there is a volume knob...
Yeah, I really don't like the soft volume of the GP2X. I'm considering modding mine to add a volume slider/knob.

By the way, if I wanted to do theis mod, all I would have to do is tie both speaker ground wires together, and put a potentiometer in series between the speakers and the unit, right?

Like this:

854133547_f79e061d81_o.jpg

(lol, MSPaint.)

Last edited by a moderator:
rememberthe8bit said:
Orkie said:
...and there is a volume knob...
Yeah, I really don't like the soft volume of the GP2X. I'm considering modding mine to add a volume slider/knob.

By the way, if I wanted to do theis mod, all I would have to do is tie both speaker ground wires together, and put a potentiometer in series between the speakers and the unit, right?

Like this:

854133547_f79e061d81_o.jpg

(lol, MSPaint.)

I think the software would be fine if everybody would just implement it. The versatility of being able to use it for other stuff in apps without audio is just too cool to give up.

never own a gp32, but the biggest weakness in the gp2x design are the battery pins. Sometimes when the 2x takes a bad hit, the shock causes the battery to push in a pin, thus pulling it out weakens the metal. In the long run one of the pins fell out, nothing a spring replacement from an old remote control couldnt fix. Thats about the only thing I wish they could change.

Well, opened up both quite a few times.
I think the gp2x is a bit better built. Not much, but a bit.

The GP32 FLU (self-installed by GP, they did a terrible work there) looks like a DIY-Device :D

Sphinxter said:
I think the software would be fine if everybody would just implement it. The versatility of being able to use it for other stuff in apps without audio is just too cool to give up.
Well, I don't want to get rid of the VOL buttons, I'll just crank up the volume on all my apps to 100%, and use the volume knob to adjust the volume instead. I really like the VOL buttons, because they work well as an exit button, and in MAME in vertical mode.

shinneri said:
EvilDragon said:
The GP32 FLU (self-installed by GP, they did a terrible work there) looks like a DIY-Device :D
Self-installed? No... it was modified for them by Hahotech. But, indeed, it was a hack job. :p

Yeah... I know... I waited ages for the kit they announced to do it yourself.
I waited until the BLU came out ;)

Last edited:
Never touched a GP2X, but my first-gen GP32 was quite sturdy. The directional stick was a problem, but stuffing paper in it made it work fine. I dropped it from around 1 1/2 meters once on a hard surface and there was no visible damage and it continued working properly.

The only downside was that the anti-reflective coating eventually rubbed off.

Cervante said:
never own a gp32, but the biggest weakness in the gp2x design are the battery pins. Sometimes when the 2x takes a bad hit, the shock causes the battery to push in a pin, thus pulling it out weakens the metal. In the long run one of the pins fell out, nothing a spring replacement from an old remote control couldnt fix. Thats about the only thing I wish they could change.
Just dropped mine for the first time :ph34r: . It wasn't too high of a drop but when I went over to pick it up, I heard something inside shake. Luckily, like what happened to Cervante's, it was just the battery pin that got pushed in. The only piece that actually came off of the machine when it hit the ground was the cap haha .

So I do think that, besides the main plastic and battery pin, the build quality for the Gp2x is descent. Don't know what to say about the Gp32 but from pictures, it looks more sturdier that the Gp2x.

The GP32 looks and feels like a brick compared to the GP2x. I could use it as a blunt instrument to attack people and I have no doubt that it would survive unscathed.

I'm surprised at the build quality of the GP2X, it's a lot better than I thought it would be.

I'm a product designer and have had a lot of things manufactured in HK and Asia. The factories will nearly always try to slip a certain amount of "regrind" into the plastics (ABS and PP especially) to reduce their material costs (while charging the client full price). Regrind is just what it sounds like, reground, remelted, used material. It is weaker than the stock material and will introduce flaws and weaknesses into the moulding.

I fully expected the GP2X's case to be made with a high quantity of regrind, but I dont think it is.

There are some issues with mould and construction quality, like the power switch, batt terminals and the Power/Batt fascia/strip. But over all, it's a pretty good effort for a non-mainstream product, there's no flashing or mould misalignments, and signs of sinkage are minimal.

My guess is a lot of people expect the unit to weigh more than it does (without batteries), there has always been a psychological connection between mass and quality/value. For what it retails, the GP2X is really quite impressive.

For a new gaming console, I expected the joystick to be tighter (less wobble), the buttons to have less wobble and the little rubber plugs to be of better quality or made from plastic that is either a swingaway/retractable flap or a removable rubber plug.

The rubber on mine is broken already. Not happy. :angry:

~Fox

be glad you dont own a digital SLR camera :)

i have to clean my nikon every few weeks, because i have so much dust on my sensor...ah, and i have a dust particle at my new gp2x screen after...one week? :)

rememberthe8bit said:
Alex. said:
Just enjoy it for what it is, nothing lasts forever. Besides, it's the software that makes the GP2X stand out, not the hardware :)
Well put. :) (Gah! Why does dust have to get into all of my screens!? :angry: )

Back