GP2X Button Standards

geolinux

Still Fresh
Website
www.geolinux.com
Emu button standards

the first one that comes to mind is

to exit out of a game to a emus menu - lets just use the sound button depressed - its not a button a player would ever push by accident and its not defined as a button in any emu games (or shouldn't be)

the joystick depressed should not do anything in any-game (other then punch out- would be great for the mighty blow) but player's have a tendency to press down on it while moving though its axis's

any help with recoding some of the current emus to implement these consistency's would be great

i really like the cp2 emu - i like the neo geo one too but the left right start to reset it bougous
and where is the try/catch so if the user presses a unwanted button the process should kill -9 itself
not lock up!! - but great emu my 2nd fav

**Dr by: Reesy is awesome!!! ( again i would just change the back/reset from select to volume depressed)
but this is as close to perfection as i have seen on any emulator - keep up the good work bro-
i would be stoked if all me emus where with the dr wrapper.

sound button? If you mean the volume buttons, then these ARE used by some emulators (and not just for vol up/down :D )

I still think that there can't be a universal control scheme that works best for every possible game or emulator. Why not take advantage of the fact that software development on the GP2X does not have to pass through a corporation's approval process, and let each program use the best possible control scheme?

I just wish everyone would stick with B -> Execute, X -> cancel like the main OS. Why does every app have to move it around?

dockthepod said:
I just wish everyone would stick with B -> Execute, X -> cancel like the main OS. Why does every app have to move it around?
I agree with that, it's the most intuitive too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. said:
dockthepod said:

it is; but there also is a chance of hitting that combo in a game :) youll never depress the volume from button mashing or doing a special move. - just a thought

Squidge said:
sound button? If you mean the volume buttons, then these ARE used by some emulators (and not just for vol up/down :D )

yes i do : and i know : i thin it is the most appropriate button for the job- what do you think??

geolinux.com said:
Alex. said:
dockthepod said:

it is; but there also is a chance of hitting that combo in a game :) youll never depress the volume from button mashing or doing a special move. - just a thought

B for execution and X for cancel relates to the menu, not game action.

Anyways, I think imposing a universal standard will be hard also because the software is mainly split between emulators and original games. Some emulators need Start mapped to the emulated hardware, but for an original game I think start is best for pause/menu during a game.

geolinux.com said:
..but the left right start to reset it bougous
The reason why that combo was added to the standards site & is used in some emulators is because..
  1. You'll (probably) never hit all of them buttons at once while gaming.
  2. Some of the emulators use the Start & Select buttons in game, which meant that a lot of the time they couldn't be used for quitting. This combination can be used for nearly every emulator released so far (exceptions maybe with the Amiga one's, due to the keyboard/mouse selection etc.).
  3. When we were asking for input on creating the standards, that was (pretty much) the one thing that most people actually agreed on ;)
I haven't worked on the Standards site recently as I've only just got my 2x back from getting a D-Pad fitted (thanks Michael) & I'm waiting to see what's going to happen with the Open2x project. If there's enough interest though, I'll start working with it again & you can always give a hand if you like :)

geolinux.com said:
Emu button standards

to exit out of a game to a emus menu - lets just use the sound button depressed - its not a button a player would ever push by accident and its not defined as a button in any emu games (or shouldn't be)[/color]
Volume buttons are used alot in vertical games like those in MAME and CPS2 when in vertical play mode. This is done because it is awkward as hell to crane your hand around the top wnile shooting. You most often end up with cramped fingers and part of your hand covering the screen that way. By using the volume as "fire" you can play it like a GBC and it is actually quite comfortable. That rules out the volume buttons to be used on everything.

I just think that the buttons should be user configurable always. That way you please everyone. If some standard button config module was written then the source released for everyone it would always work the same.

DaveC said:
I just think that the buttons should be user configurable always. That way you please everyone. If some standard button config module was written then the source released for everyone it would always work the same.

Yeah, good plan - a standard keymapping module/function would be great...

I don't mind too much what buttons are used in-game; most emulators etc seem to be sensible - it's the menu control that would be nice to have a standard..
Also the 'Shoulder L+R+START' combo works well for quitting to menu imho.

DaveC said:
I have a C++ Joystick class that I use in GReader2X that handles that kind of thing. Being C++, it wouldn't be any use for most emulators which seem to stick to standard C.

Once initialised, you just need to call joystick->check() followed by a bunch of if statements in the form if (joystick->isUp()) { // process Up Key

It handles "key combinations", key delay & repeat (even better now than in the last release) and has hooks for putting the GP2X into standby (turn screen off & underclock - routines are in utils.cpp).

It's not perfect, but it's GPL'd and available for anyone to use.

Cheers,

Coder

I think that the standards idea needs a rekindling. As Tripmonkey said, he's been without his 2X for a while and hasn't done much to maintain the site. (Not a dig or criticism just restating what you said :) )But yes it's nice to have configurable buttons, but there should be a standard set of buttons that keep each application easy to use.

I agree with B to run/execute and X to cancel.

Also the L+R+Start combo was something agreed on a while back... since then we've seen a new combo VOL+ and VOL- which works quite well.

dockthepod said:
I just wish everyone would stick with B -> Execute, X -> cancel like the main OS.
I`m also trying to stick to that scheme lately.

kevcal said:
DaveC said:

Yeah, good plan - a standard keymapping module/function would be great...

I don't mind too much what buttons are used in-game; most emulators etc seem to be sensible - it's the menu control that would be nice to have a standard..

You'll need to talk to the Open2x guys for that. I think they planned on including one in the new firmware when it's released, that's why I've been waiting for the first version to be finished before doing anything else with the site.
Orkies also planning on including a standard file system for people to use (if they want to), but I'm too sure if he's using the one from the standards site or not?

DaveC said:
geolinux.com said:
Emu button standards

to exit out of a game to a emus menu - lets just use the sound button depressed - its not a button a player would ever push by accident and its not defined as a button in any emu games (or shouldn't be)[/color]
Volume buttons are used alot in vertical games like those in MAME and CPS2 when in vertical play mode. This is done because it is awkward as hell to crane your hand around the top wnile shooting. You most often end up with cramped fingers and part of your hand covering the screen that way. By using the volume as "fire" you can play it like a GBC and it is actually quite comfortable. That rules out the volume buttons to be used on everything.

oh cool i didnt even think about that but the "volume" button is good for the vertical games!!!
great point!!!

how about left+right + start

Back