GP2X Gp2x And Interface And Other Standards

This supposes we maintain the linux OS, but what happens to all this if we also use straight machine code for better performance/systems resources, as mentioned by a few devs in other threads? That will require a different set of standards.
Not really. Whether you use the Linux kernel or not, the SD card will still be FAT32 and will still have the same directory structure. I propose that we just settle on using the game name (and possibly the version) as the name of a root folder for the game and all associated data. That solves the name collision problem and also allows games to be aware of other games the user plays for potential cross-title content (e.g. "Would you like to use your controller config from <other game name here>?")
This reminds me of a problem we often faced when I was scripting with RGSS. People used the same names when making aliases, making none of the scripts work together. The most common way around it was to put 3 letters representing a user or group name in addition to the script name so they would never colide. So, if I made a script to switch party members, I would name it mnk-party-switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scary? It's actaully quite common for ports. If you want to remove the scary bits, you can always comment out the fields.

If noone intends to do something like that, then there would be no point creating it.

Scary for new users. You don't see someting like that on a PSP, GBA or DS game game etc. Problem with most programmers is that they can't make games for the average gamer. And who wanna bother with all those settings every time? I don't, I just wanna set the controlls and start playing. It also looks very unproffessional, if you wanna make a halfharted game and give it away for free then you are free to do so.

Save games on console are differentiated from save games for other titles by the product code. The product code is assigned by the manufacturer. For example, if you have a PS2 game, look on the packaging at the bottom of the spine. It will have a product code like SLES-52786 or similar. Each title released has its own code. Incidentally, SLES is for PAL regions and SLUS is for NTSC regions.

I'm all about free games, and most of my games are aimed at the enthusiast, rather then the average gamer.

The extra controls can be ignored, but it gives control to the user incase they want to do something extra.

I totally agree that if you're making a game from the ground up, you should have custom menus that look nice and are easy to use, particulary if you want people to pay for it. But That does not cover the entire market.

And my standards for games would be:
A: Fire
X: Jump/Throttle
B: Special
Y: Change weapon etc.
This is exactly the layout that I will use on all my games.

I'd support this stadard if it was published in the wiki, however the most important controller standard should be to allow the user to define them.

I agree with this Im all up for a standard but all emulators should allow for the user to define the controls if possible.

Back