Buying A Gp2x

reSpawn

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi guys. I want to buy GP2X very soon but first I have some questions about it:
-how much free space I have without buying a card?
-copying files from PC is easy? Do I get an application wich I can use to copy files from PC to GP2x ?
-it is capable of network? for example if I connect it to PC can I ping the device?

thats all it comes thru my mind for now :p

No space without an SD card
but thyre so cheap now hint amazon
copying is very easy ctrl-c - ctrl-v
aparently you can ping the device form what ive read, but i dont think its that easy(not that hard either though since someone done it)

pantera6 posted on May 21 2006 at 06:08 PM said:
thats copy & paste, but how you do it ? You see the device in "My computer" or something like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicu posted on May 21 2006 at 07:11 PM said:
pantera6 posted on May 21 2006 at 06:08 PM said:
thats copy & paste, but how you do it ? You see the device in "My computer" or something like that?
yes you do and I dont know how much free space there is on the nand. Not much though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed
yes buy a card reader hint amazon again
all so easy
you will need winzip aswell since most homebrew games are .zip or .rar

Just to clarify...

There is next to no space on the internal (NAND) memory. You'll definantly need an SD card for games, apps, etc.

If you pop an SD card into the console and connect the console to your PC with the provided cable, the SD card will appear as a 'Removable Disk' under 'My Computer'.

However, most members find that a card reader is alot faster and more reliable. A card reader doesn't even require drivers on Windows 2000 & XP.

Because you can see the SD card as a removable device you can simply copy and paste files to it.

depending on the firmware version the gp2x either shows up as a network share(2.0) or a removeable drive(before 2.0).
In 2.0 you can write files to the nand over usb, howevr there isnt much space and it isnt recomendet to write anything to the nand as the unit could get unable to boot when the nand is full.

Most of the info given in this thread is out of date and refers to older firmware versions. The amount of nand available for normal use (ie, the part accessable through the menu) is 30mb, which is more than enough to keep you going for a few days until you get an sd card. The thing vimacs said about not booting when the nand is full doesn't apply with 2.0 as the partition is seperate from the main area of nand where linux sits, which you can't access with the normal usb connection (you have to enable samba to get full access to the nand).

so in firmware 2.0 it shows as a PC in network ? and I have 30 mbs till I will buy a SD Card.
thanks for all info

Back