c64 30 years old BBC article and Vid

I just had the Tandy Color Computer when I was young.. it was essentially the same as the Dragon 32.. but less cool.

I did something similar with my C64 at a vocational school. The punks were more interested in the stupid TV I was using than the "fat keyboard" that I was showing demo programs on.

even some very clever module slot for instant action. ^^
You mean "Action Replay"! :p

Unfortunately, we only had a cart called the "Freeze Machine" IIRC. Let you do almost the same, but once you'd frozen to poke your cheats, you needed a SYS number to restart the game...

Bit off topic but was there ever anything from the same time period which was more powerful and a better machine but simply didn't sell?

Rather like the Sinclair QL, 3DO etc.

Apparently the c64 is now 30 years old. The BBC have an interesting article and video to celebrate the old girl ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-19055707
This evil man really is torturing the innoncent kids with a Datasette? :D

C64 also had more modern 5¼ Floppy Disc and even some very clever module slot for instant action. ^^

You wouldn't torture kids with a 5.25" floppy on a C64 - until the demo scene coders got their act together, the 1541 was slower than tapes!

D.

You wouldn't torture kids with a 5.25" floppy on a C64 - until the demo scene coders got their act together, the 1541 was slower than tapes!
That wasn't my experience. Floppy disks were ace. I bought everything I could on floppy... Didn't have to rewind the tape at the end either :)

That wasn't my experience. Floppy disks were ace. I bought everything I could on floppy... Didn't have to rewind the tape at the end either :)

Due to a bug in the hardware, the ROM was rewritten which reduced speed to around 300b/sec, which was a touch slower than the standard tape drive. Much later when software houses started writing their own disk routines, this was alleviated but for the initial life of the drive it was actually slower than a C64 tape drive (300 baud), and a lot slower than a Spectrum's tape loading system (~1350 baud). Eventually speeds of up around 4-5kb/sec were achieved but it took some real effort to get that kind of performance.

D.

Back