Call Me Crazy,but.. Would This Work?

Jonttu

Still Fresh
So I understand the Pandora is going to use a SGX530 which is similar to the SGX535 which is a GMA500. Also Pandora has a tweaked, specialized build of Ångström which has an x86 distribution as well. on to my question - Would it theoretically be possible use the Pandora build of Ångström and rip all the essentials (GUI, Graphics drivers, and etc.) to merge with the x86 build of Ångström? My goal is to kind of recreate the Pandora feel into a x86 device (501A)running an Atom and GMA500(SGX535). Would it be impossible to do this because of the difference in architecture and slight differential in GPU? And if it did work would I run into problems with programs/requiring certain architectures via ARM?

Jonttu said:
So I understand the Pandora is going to use a SGX530 which is similar to the SGX535 which is a GMA500. Also Pandora has a tweaked, specialized build of Ångström which has an x86 distribution as well. on to my question - Would it theoretically be possible use the Pandora build of Ångström and rip all the essentials (GUI, Graphics drivers, and etc.) to merge with the x86 build of Ångström? My goal is to kind of recreate the Pandora feel into a x86 device (501A)running an Atom and GMA500(SGX535). Would it be impossible to do this because of the difference in architecture and slight differential in GPU? And if it did work would I run into problems with programs/requiring curtain architectures via ARM?
You would need to get a new driver for the new graphics card that has been compiled for x86, bot it would otherwise work I assume, since it's trivial to build an Ångström image for x86. But no, you wouldn't be able to take actual Pandora applications and just run them on an x86 Linux machine; you'd need a recompilation for that as well.

Also, I have no idea what you mean when saying "curtain architectures"...
EDIT: I guess you mean "certain architectures"? That would make more sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's what he meant. :D Not drapes.

This could be made quite simple, just by using the same desktop environment on each device. We're probably getting the E17 desktop, which of course you can put on your x86 device as well and tweak it for the same feel. I'm running Elive right now (Debian + Enlightenment, courtesy of a link from dflemstr) and I'm toying with the idea of making my PC and Pandora interfaces the same. Just for fun.

As for apps, I'm guessing much of the everyday stuff in the Anstrom repo is already available for x86. Stuff from the Pandora file archive would be a different story though.

dflemstr said:
You would need to get a new driver for the new graphics card....
hopefully I can find one from the another Linux distro

Gruso said:
Stuff from the Pandora file archive would be a different story though.
Source granted, recompilation wouldn't be too difficult, right?
oh and curtain haha been up a while, in need of sleep

Sphinxter said:
WTF is the, 'pandora feel'.
Seeing as the Pandora hasn't been released yet, no one knows. Though, I've heard that ED and Craig can't look directly at the device and a level 4 hazmat suit with a CP reinforced glove box is required to handle it for a few seconds.

JayFoxRox said:
Well most of the emulators wouldn't work because they are optimized for ARM and use dynamic-recompilers and stuff like that.
I did a lot of development on x86 Linux. But the ARM assembly and SGX stuff has to be tested on actual hardware.

Back