GP32 can BASIC be used?

cardboardface

Still Fresh
is there anyway to use BASIC to program for the gp? I use blitz basic right now is there anything similar? or will there be? i saw something about dragonBASIC for gba being ported a while back.

BASIC is an interpretive language. Someone would have to port over an interpreter first.

I think there may be some utilities to convert BASIC programs into executable code, but I don't think they would be compatible with GP32 development.

And if you don't like C, you could always try C++. The main reason they teach C first in classes is because C is purely fuctional, while C++ has some object-oriented structure (hence the ++, mostly). I suppose they'd rather you learn the fudementals first, before you have a chance to goof-up OOP.

i think that there might have been some kind of basic-c/c++ converter somewhere on the web, but you would have to convert that to gp32 c++ <_<

I've been thinking about reimplementing some old BASIC for GP32..
I thought AMOS seemed like a good choise since it was easy to make simple games with it..

I'm still interrested in writing a basic interpreter for GP32..
But then it'll probably be something custom.
And i need a BASIC manual of some sort.

---
mithris

Twimfy posted on Sep 3 2003 said:
Not sure, but I hope so, I've been learning C and I'm really struggling.
Hang on, falling bak to basic is BAD :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
tokikenshi posted on Sep 5 2003 said:
But perhaps learning Python or Ruby would be more suitable, eh? :rolleyes:
Well.. Ruby is pretty nice :)

generalnmx posted on Sep 4 2003 said:
BASIC is an interpretive language. Someone would have to port over an interpreter first.

I think there may be some utilities to convert BASIC programs into executable code, but I don't think they would be compatible with GP32 development.

And if you don't like C, you could always try C++. The main reason they teach C first in classes is because C is purely fuctional, while C++ has some object-oriented structure (hence the ++, mostly). I suppose they'd rather you learn the fudementals first, before you have a chance to goof-up OOP.
I've started by learning C++ and now going backwards to C is giving me problems as flexibility is decreased.

Most of my problems actually come from translating to the GP32, the methods for screen flipping etc. are really awkward and hard to learn.

I've been interested in implementing the good 'ol BASIC version used in the Sharp MZ-700 microcomputers... 

I used to have one of those!!! I remember the crap BASIC music demo with the dancing chick thingy.... And Manhunter (the game) and something else... what was it.... Landfall???... or something.....

Waaaaaah!

Back