Can Hfs Support Be Integrated With Angstrom?

transmition

Still Fresh
HFS (the filesystem on OS X) is supported under linux, with the use of a Kernel Patch*.

I ask because I plan on using my HFS external hard drive with my pandora, such that I will be able to watch movies on my television combined with the TV out. Since some files are greater then 4GB, the hard drive cannot be in FAT32, and since I use OS X, it cannot be in any of the EXT formats.

Since this is a fairly simple (I believe) thing to include, and will apply to any OS X users who will want to place files greater then 4GB on their SD cards, I feel that it should be included with Angstrom if it isn't already.

*I am not 100% certain that kernel patch is the correct term

hfsplus is already in the angstrom repository. It shouldn't require you to recompile the kernel.

I'm still upset that Apple didn't adopt ZFS, I think it was ZFS, the one that is standard on Sun systems. This would have solved everything, it works on Linux and in Windows, it could have been the universal FS. I think Apple just does not like open standards when it comes to file systems, drives me nuts. The best file system you can use is ironically NTFS, it's not official support but hacks have gotten it to work on Mac and Linux. I had to put support on my parents PC(a Mac) because my sister wanted to use her HD at their house.

Anyway, you can add NTFS support to your Mac and then your drive will work on all three OSs. I don't think HFS works on Windows does it?

Apparently, the boss of Sun announced at a conference that Apple were adopting ZFS for Mac OS X.
Unfortunately, that was before Steve Jobs was supposed to make the announcement himself at Macworld.
This upset SJ and the ability to format and use ZFS was removed from the final build of 10.5.

HFS/HFS+ support would be great BTW.

second exodous said:
I don't think HFS works on Windows does it?
MacDrive is a great app for just that. I use it with HFS+ USB drive to watch huge 1080p video files on the Xbox360.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ntfs is (like FAT before) becoming the common ground I think, especially when bigfiles come into it. I use itat any rate across all my machines forbackups, no problem.

Jeff

Transmition said:
Alright, so HFS support is already included with Angstrom?
In terms of that there is a pre-made package available: yes.
It may not be out-of-the-box, but it shouldn't be more than 5 minutes of effort at most to get it working if you don't make any mistakes.

Kloplop321 said:
Transmition said:
It may not be out-of-the-box, but it shouldn't be more than 5 minutes of effort at most to get it working if you don't make any mistakes.
4 mins 55 secs out of those 5 mins better be download time over the worlds slowest modem

EDIT: The main reason for which I discourage NTFS is that it's simply too slow. I don't know how it performs on SSD but it has a read/write speed on my external HDD roughly half of what ext4 can push out.

zhasha said:
Kloplop321 said:
Transmition said:
4 mins 55 secs out of those 5 mins better be download time over the worlds slowest modem

EDIT: The main reason for which I discourage NTFS is that it's simply too slow. I don't know how it performs on SSD but it has a read/write speed on my external HDD roughly half of what ext4 can push out.
It would take (according to google) "0.0392734375" seconds for me to download it :)

Edit: after looking through several packages on the Ångström repository, I must say: there is almost no bloat to any of the packages!
I think the NTFS slow down is because of settings like "write the latest read time" or what ever so it has to flag the files as it reads them, which means that once it has read it, it has to wait till the next rotation to mark in the new date. I may be wrong, but It has a different journaling system than ext[3,4] does.

Back