Can someone render one of my Blender videos for me?

second exodous

Advanced Member
I was wondering if someone could render one of my videos on a Pyra prototype or even on one of the dev boards with the same processor. There isn't a huge hurry, but I'd sure like to know if I could sell my notebook and get a Pyra. As I mentioned before I'm on a bike tour and the size of my notebook really hinders me pulling it out and editing videos, if I had the Pyra I could pull it out and not need as much space and do video editing more discretely. I stay at fire stations a lot and firefighters usually don't have anywhere to sit where I can use my computer. Not to mention the weight of my notebook, dropping it and getting a Pyra just to save my legs on climbing hills would be great also.

My videos aren't elaborate or anything, at most of do a transform layer to resize a photo I put in my videos.

Anyway, I could upload a .tar file of a project somewhere on the web, with a blend file that would just need to be run on the Pyra. If someone could just tell me the time it took I could compare it to what my notebook does now. It looks like my raw projects, before my GoPro videos are cut down and processed, are around 5 GB, 8 GB being the largest in the last 10 videos.

I need to find out if you need the same path, like what user folder in the /home directory and everything, I don't know how a .blend file links the videos to be rendered. I'll need to research that.

This will answer the render time question, unfortunately it won't answer what it would be like to do the actual editing on a Pyra, the controls and applying changes to the video before rendering it. My computer handles everything I do fine, sometimes it chugs if I scrub around my video to much, but I don't do that much, my videos are really basic.

Like I said, not a huge hurry, I canceled my preorder because I needed the money for my tirp, knowing that I could just order it with credit and if it worked just sell my notebook. Hopefully I'll be in Brazil when I sell it, the import tax there is quite high and I might be able to get nearly as much for my notebook as I paid for it new in the US.

Anyway, let me know if any of you with dev units can help. It sounds like people will have production units soon also, so there will be a even larger pool soon!

Still need to put your travel page in your signature please? Sounds like you are having a grand adventure!

You could try rendering in the 'cloud', google gives out 300 free credits to try out there google compute stuff. I have been using it for 3d rendering in blender.

Although I have been doing slow 3d renders and making computer clusters to compute it faster using sheepit. But for your use case you can use just one instance to render it all. And use sheepit as a interface.

If you are interested, I can explain my setup in more detail or if just need a few quick render jobs done, I might do it via my setup. :D

[ it may take a few days for me to reply, I'm currently on vacation ]

I was wondering if someone could render one of my videos on a Pyra prototype or even on one of the dev boards with the same processor.

google gives out 300 free credits

Do Google have a rack of Pyra devboards available for public use...?

Edit: ...or were you suggesting uploading the entire video project to a remote computing service as an alternative to local rendering? Wouldn't that be even slower?

Last edited:
I don't know if remote rendering would be feasible for me, the Gopro files are huge and the Internet here sucks. I render it in Blender to a much smaller file size then upload it to youtube.

Do Google have a rack of Pyra devboards available for public use...?

Edit: ...or were you suggesting uploading the entire video project to a remote computing service as an alternative to local rendering? Wouldn't that be even slower?

I was suggesting the second option.

I don't know if remote rendering would be feasible for me, the Gopro files are huge and the Internet here sucks. I render it in Blender to a much smaller file size then upload it to youtube.

I was under the impression that there was some 3d elements in your video (due to using blender), but if you are just editing video clips than my idea is not applicable or a good idea.

Sorry! :oops:

why not use a dedicated video encoder? Blender is a bit heavy to use as just a video converter

How about FFmpeg?

How about FFmpeg?
I do use ffmpeg for transcoding for different resolutions, and for concatenating streams, for cutting up streams, and for pulling video off audio streams, but for anything I use regularly I've always written a script to capture the command line arguments because I really have difficulty remembering the correct arguments and their sequence. I either have to script it, or look it up on the internet each time.

And all the way back around to the original question...

Is there someone with a dev board on the conversation who can do a specific sequence so @second exodous can know how fast/slow the Pyra will be for doing the actions he needs to do during his travels?

It is acknowledged that the Pyra is going to be slower than his current laptop. This question is more about time to weight ratio. Or, wait to weight ratio?

Yes, although time could go down in future. I don't know if any of the encoders or decoders use the SIMD parts of the A15 at all well yet, and I'd have thought they'd be well targetted at that kind of work. There may well be finding value in the current baseline for this kind of thing though.

Back