Release Can the Pandora run Windows XP?

kuffain

Still Fresh
well what you guys think, is pandora s hardware powerful enougf to run windows xp, like the way it runs on current netbooks

I've seen XP run on similar x86 processors with 256 MB of RAM, and there are tools that could fit XP in 512 MB of Flash memory,

HOWEVER:

XP has not yet been compiled for the ARM architecture, and it is not likely that MS will go back to a project as old as XP to port it to a whole new architecture.

So, it could, but it won't. Not in the foreseeable future.

There's also the problem that even if microsoft DID make an ARM version of xp (never going to happen) you're program's still wouldn't run, because they'd still all be compiled for x86 cpus.

Look man; windows has no customazation for devs like linux does.But if you wont to install xp its hasnt been compiled for ARM(like everyone else said) so not now if ever.

I prefer Linux my self because it's very lite, but wanted to see if the device was capable to do so as a option, I am starting to view the Pandora as a ultra portable netbook with good hardware, so if i ever needed to install xp the option will be open

kuffain said:
if i ever needed to install xp the option will be open

No, it won't be open. We just explained that Microsoft is probably never going to compile Windows XP for the ARM platform, and certainly almost none of the 3rd-party developers will compile their stuff either.

It is, in fact, impossible to run any kind of Windows on it right now because there is no ARM code.

No, it won't be open. We just explained that Microsoft is probably never going to compile Windows XP for the ARM platform, and certainly almost none of the 3rd-party developers will compile their stuff either.

yes i totally understand what you are trying to say, there are compatibility issues. If Microsoft ever compiled Windows XP (which now seems its very unlikely) for the ARM platform. The device could boot it, because it's hardware is capable enough. That was my original question, thanks anyways :wink:

Back