Can you increase the virtual resolution of the screen?

rohezal

Advanced Member
Can you increase the virtual resolution of the screen? I got a "office" java programm(helden software) which needs1024x768 and has no scrollbars. Can increase the virtual resolution by adding scrollbars to the desktop?

In theory it's possible to run X on one of the scalers, in practice it's real messy.

Another possibility is to run X with that resolution in a vnc server and connect to it, but I haven't ever done this myself so can't help you.

Fvwm2 has a 3x3 default desktop.

I doubt it has been ported to Zaxxon, but it's available in SL4P.

Notaz, could you explain why xrandr is off the table? It would be so helpful to have high res panning on the pandora. Browsing would be more comfortable with a bigger window, and many games could be run windowed and playable with panning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont want to install slackware and boot on it. Can I install it like Pandebian and use it with Super Zaxxon (with chroot)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Notaz, could you explain why xrandr is off the table? It would be so helpful to have high res panning on the pandora. Browsing would be more comfortable with a bigger window, and many games could be run windowed and playable with panning.
Just not implemented in xf86-video-omap, should be doable but would take some effort.

I dont want to install slackware and boot on it. Can I install it like Pandebian and use it with Super Zaxxon (with chroot)?
I planned to do that someday, but I think it not worth the hassle.

You may ask some pnd maker to package it (as openbox). Should be easy as it's lightweight and probably requires only some X libs in order to compile.

Fvwm2 compile fine with codeblocks pnd (./configure & make)...the only problem is packaging, i don't have enough skill to write all the stuff that's needed like on openbox pnd.

A very quick test seem to run but other than that i don't know i have to kill it pressing Pandora button.

Just not implemented in xf86-video-omap, should be doable but would take some effort.
A bit off-topic: it makes me wonder why these drivers are called xf86-something. Is it "86" as in 80x86? The drivers themselves have nothing to do with intel processors, have they?

Yeah it looks like some historical thing, probably from XFree86 (that later became Xorg), which was started as X server implementation for IBM PCs (X-three-86).

And when you solve it from the Another Side?

Nearly all Java Software can be resized to fit on the

Pandora Screen with 800x480

MediaThekView PND is be resized,Someone resized ProjectX VideoEditor for the Pandora....

..maybe we find a Way for you.

Which Office Software was it exactly?

Maybe i can try some Things with another Solution like a VirtualScreen ;)

It is Helden Software (http://www.helden-software.de/) to create Das Schwarze Auge (The Dark Eye) RPG characters.

But because of this RPG my girlfriend left me 3 days ago after 3 years of relationship. Well I think I don't need the software anymore. But thank you for your help. In general a virtual resolution would become handy I think.

One way to deal with girlfriends is to marry them. This buys you much more time before they consider leaving, but there's a price...

Anyway, I will try to check out this virtual resolution thing (aka panning). Not sure I have the skills though.

I also went into trouble a long time ago, but it was because of Perfect Dark and StarCraft/BroodWar.

Well I think I don't need the software anymore.
Because you reached the goal of making her leaving you ?

Tell her she was right to leave you, because you were so stupid to play this game.

You can win almost every battle vs a women just by telling her she's right.

Hi there,

I must admit I'm a bit stuck with this xf86-video-omap thing. There seems to be a ready-made function in the kernel module (omapfb_pan_display), but I can't find a way to expose it to the DDX. I suppose I'll have to do ioctl calls on /dev/fb, just haven't figured out how.

Another question that remains unsolved is how panning is managed inside X. There's this ScrnInfoRec.AdjustFrame function which does get called when I define it, but I'm not sure it's the one. And then there's xf86CrtcFuncsRec.set_origin, which seems to be more panning related. I guess I'll have to declare a crtc for this, but is there a minimum set of functions a crtc should support, or do I have to implement all of them?

Performing panning itself is easy, something like:

Code:
int fbdev = open("/dev/fb0", O_RDWR);

struct fb_var_screeninfo fbvar;
ioctl(fbdev, FBIOGET_VSCREENINFO, &fbvar);
fbvar.xres_virtual = yourvirtual_width;
fbvar.yres_virtual = yourvirtual_height;
fbvar.xoffset = position_x;
fbvar.yoffset = position_y;
ioctl(fbdev, FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO, &fbvar);
But how to present it to X, I have no idea.

Back