Cancelled

They just want the latest and greatest toy, which the Pandora was never about.
I agree with everything you said Chris except this part because that was exactly how the Pandora was sold to them.

Something that a lot of people commented on at the time as being a bad idea :(
I know what your saying Trip. Some did look at the Pandora as a cutting edge toy, but if even if it came out when it should have, the tech would have been dated pretty quickly. It was only ever really touted to play up to PS1 and maybe N64, and that's all it can really do then, now, or later. The team would have never made a new Pandora 2 within 1-2 years anyway, so if someone was getting this for that reason, they where kinda of kidding themselves, at least IMO.

Chris

Yeah, not a she. Just like the avatar.

Also, request for cancellation sent.

Let me know when you get a response. I sent a request on June 8th 2011 :)

and a reminder on June 10th 2011

No responses yet.

Craig was definately out of order but I put if down to all the stress so it can be forgiven.

This smartphone debate is a little silly - with the Icontrolpad it turns them into usable devices apart from the lack of keyboard.

Maybe everyone should think before posting!

I must say I'm a little surprised by the notion that if someone's requirements are different to those of others and they say so (and, indeed, it doesn't matter if someone got the speed of the processor wrong or some such thing - the point is still the same), that that person wasn't "right" for the project in the first place. :blink:

Really, guys? Is that how it gets seen? :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
CC just need ED to send Trey round to bugger them... I mean badger them some more :rolleyes:

Its a shame there is still delays and these frustrations are understandable. Sadly they are still unavoidable and not really OPT's fault or in their control to alter. People will have to sit it out, jump queue if they can afford and merit doing so, or cancel and walk away for now and that's all there is to it.

Ah, a troll!

Sure your phone has a better battery than 4200mah. Right. And I bet those emulators are AMAZING with no controls.

Oh and the fact you think that all there is to the power of a system is the Mhz rating.. well.. I guess the Caannoo is just as powerful as the Pandora.
Has the excessive standby power usage been fixed, then?

CC just need ED to send Trey round to bugger them... I mean badger them some more :rolleyes:

Its a shame there is still delays and these frustrations are understandable. Sadly they are still unavoidable and not really OPT's fault or in their control to alter. People will have to sit it out, jump queue if they can afford and merit doing so, or cancel and walk away for now and that's all there is to it.
A few months ago, CircuitCo agreed to a schedule, which wasn't a very ambitious schedule, either, and since then they've failed to adhere to it, otherwise batch 1 would be finished, right? What excuses are they making for this in private, I wonder? It would be nice if there was a threat of the Pandora business moving elsewhere or something to motivate them to hold up their end of the bargain.

It would be nice if there was a threat of the Pandora business moving elsewhere or something to motivate them to hold up their end of the bargain.

Could a threat like this actually kill of the project? What are the costs involved in moving to another company?

I don't necessarily mean they should actually do it, or even that they should threaten to do it. I just wish they had at least one alternative company to fall back on so that they would have that option open, because it seems like CircuitCo knows they can afford to just jerk them around. I have the impression that they haven't even found one alternative company who will do their kind of volume at a price they can afford, from posts like this one.

I've not kept up on the production difficulties, so all I know is like you. A promised schedule, a new front guy, some new machines and sadly not enough boards to OPT still. I do wonder whats happening behind the scenes and what CC are upto but really its still not in OPT's abilities to do anything about it. They simply dont have the cash to go elsewhere and there is few elsewheres to go to that can even make them, or accept small orders. New companies would cost serious cash and lead times OPT just dont have at present. All most regrettable but hope remains inside the Pandora project.

I'm not gonna start finding which part of this to quote, so I'll just repeat my normal ramblings.

Today marks 2 months! since the status page has been updated. As far as I've been out of work recently, I've been keeping up with the boards/lack of information better.

ED's last "numbers" post is older than the status page (I had to check) so the status page is the most recent information.

Since the last status page update, I mostly see comments of "just shipped X units today" or "often shipping xxx units/week" but we don't know how 'often' often is. Does often mean 1 week a month? Is that all that got shipped that month? Are these units filling premium orders? Are these units RMA replacements? How many units are filling orders for people that have waited over 2 1/2 years? Can we find out what (approx) queue numbers are shipping today/last week/2nd tuesday next month when the moon is full/pick one?

As far as this debating about people cancelling their orders, I'm not gonna say anything about right/wrong whatever. But all I usually see is people saying that in 2+ years another device now fills their needs that they would have used their pandora for, and are tired of waiting. I don't think people are usually saying that this new device is better than the pandora in all aspects, their needs have changed and they found something to fill that hole.

I have linux experience and using it for desktop environments is just fine for me. I was looking forward to the idea of a mini computer with wifi/keyboard that fits in my pocket, adding the ability to game with gaming controls and watch movies makes it something exactly like what I'd want to do with it. But I will admit, if I can't get any kind of progress information soon, I am much more likely to cancel/request refund than to consider upgrading. I have no clue exactly what I'd do with the money or what device I would aim to get instead of a pandora, but I could find something to satisfy myself even if it doesn't fully compete. OP and some of Craig's responses to people need to realize not everyone here is ONLY here because of the keyboard or this feature or that feature, and yelling at people who say their phone can do this and that now isn't going to change that.

If you got this far, sorry if I'm rambling. Any posts I see lately from OP staff types on the stalker.openpandora.org is either iControlPad, software (pandora and non-pandora), or support issues. No one has been publicly giving any production updates with any point of reference.

It's at a time like this that makes me worry about the project (and my money.) With so little actual progress to show for over the last month, it makes me want to just settle for some android smart phone. With so little news and so little progress, it makes me fear that I'll never get my unit, period. (I'll admit, the premium stuff irked me a little, but I'll suffer just about anything that may be necessary to keep the project going.)

I used to defend the Pandora outright, regardless of what anyone had to say about the project, but my graduation was my cutoff date for not getting a unit. I graduated over a week ago. I knew on sight that it was going to be an amazing device. I still believe wholeheartedly that I would love it..... If it were to ever come.

Please, OpenPandora Team, tell me what's going on. I want to continue believing in the project, but my patience is not without limits. I've followed you guys eagerly since sometime in early 2008, but we're here three years later, and I just want to throw my hands up in the air.

:mellow:

I'm pretty sure any update will include "CircuitCo is being slow".

It's beyond anyone's control but their (CircuitCo's, not OpenPandora's) own. If anything, NOT cancelling (or better, upgrading) will contribute to speed a bit; you think CircuitCo would listen to OP more if they had some more cash? This thing is worth it beyond doubt. Hang in there!

It's beyond anyone's control but their (CircuitCo's, not OpenPandora's) own. If anything, NOT cancelling (or better, upgrading) will contribute to speed a bit; you think CircuitCo would listen to OP more if they had some more cash? This thing is worth it beyond doubt. Hang in there!

Honestly, I don't believe that money would fix the problem. CircuitCo seems to be a terrible company that needs to be reported to the BBB.

Of course, I have never dealt with them, and only forming an opinion of them based on the words of the OpenPandora team would be unfair. It's still nice to have a group to bash, though.

True. But if they're reported to the BBB, then it could negatively affect business with OpenPandora. Then who else would make the boards? We're damned if we do report them, damned if we don't.

And think of it this way, then; others have been cancelling lately, too. Wouldn't it be nice to not contribute to the potential downfall of a company you once held dear? Especially a company that's so small, literally every purchase counts?

its all about communication , OP have a bunch of your money and as investors you expect some updates on progress.

i love my pandora and the community is great ... but the communication needs to be better.

it takes two minutes to post a weekly update and say here is where we are at , the last thing the project needs now is a bunch of people wanting their money back.

from a communication point of view don't make pointless forecasts about when things might be , just say what you did and didn't do in that week and the reasons why.

my 2p, and i am not trolling, just expressing an opinion.

its all about communication , OP have a bunch of your money and as investors you expect some updates on progress.

i love my pandora and the community is great ... but the communication needs to be better.

it takes two minutes to post a weekly update and say here is where we are at , the last thing the project needs now is a bunch of people wanting their money back.

from a communication point of view don't make pointless forecasts about when things might be , just say what you did and didn't do in that week and the reasons why.

Don't you think someone on this board in the past 2 years hasn't made a post like this?

Don't you think someone on this board in the past 2 years hasn't made a post like this?

Maybe because it's been a valid point to raise for over 2 years?

Everytime the information flow stops you now the shit has hit the fan somewhere. Right now something is up with CC but we, as in we the eagerly waiting community who thought a couple of hundred a week were getting pumped out, don't know what exactly. Unless of course the batch 1 orders get sent out before the end of June as prognosed not too long ago.

Then apologies, compliments all around, lot's of merriment and scores of threads about games on the Pandora are in order.

I'm not cancelling no matter what. I do feel for Craig and ED and the rest of OPT and will not add to the spot they're in by pulling money out. But I would feel a lot better if they would say, don't hold your breath before september if you are a late first batcher.

yes of course they have , and i have read them all for 2 years , I was an original pre-order then cancelled exactly because of this issue, so though i am a newbie here i am not a newbie to the scene.

the point i make is valid though and i don't understand why OP do not fix it , it would restore a lot of good will.

what is more relevant to the current situation is that if people cancel now at this late stage it could well impact the ability of OP to honour all the batch 1 people in the que.

Even more reason to start updating, five minutes a week costs nothing and might stop some of the cancellations.

Maybe because it's been a valid point to raise for over 2 years?

Everytime the information flow stops you now the shit has hit the fan somewhere. Right now something is up with CC but we, as in we the eagerly waiting community who thought a couple of hundred a week were getting pumped out, don't know what exactly. Unless of course the batch 1 orders get sent out before the end of June as prognosed not too long ago.

Then apologies, compliments all around, lot's of merriment and scores of threads about games on the Pandora are in order.

I'm not cancelling no matter what. I do feel for Craig and ED and the rest of OPT and will not add to the spot they're in by pulling money out. But I would feel a lot better if they would say, don't hold your breath before september if you are a late first batcher.

Please think about who these messages are actually aimed against? They ain't faceless and I guess a lot of you think that they are aimed at Craig...

But to me they are aimed squarely at the OP team and especially the front line of them, which are people like Jack and Debs.

I've so far brought a GP2X and 2 Pandoras and I've got mine with hardly any fuss. Sure like everyone else I had to wait, but when I wanted to enquire about the status of my order I did it politely via the correct channels and _personally_ I have found the sales team to be polite, responsive and helpful.

I brought my pandys separately one prem the other batch one, both times I did not feel the need to get riled up on the interwebs behind the "masses" to get info. The sales team were helpful and great and I for one would like to thank them for all the hard work they do.

*/gets off soap box*

Back