Cannot Allocate Memory

chiefsmurph

Still Fresh
I am in quite a mess. I recently got usb networking to work, but right when I was able to ping google.com, my gp2x wouldn't open gp2x-gpe to browse the web. I though little of it at the time, but now I am running into bigger problems and I think they are all connected.

I just got a 2.5' HDD holder from artaylor.co.uk and it looked like everything was gonna work fine because it could recognize the HDD from windows. When I plugged it into the gp2x I couldn't access it from the ext option. So I hooked back up usb networking and checked out the /dev/ directory. The gp2x can recognize the usb device because I can see there is /dev/sda. I have enabled usb host, storage on my gp2x also. I also noticed that there wasn't a /mnt/ext folder at all!

When I opened up telnet, I tried to mount the /dev/sda1 into the ext folder. I had to make the directory /mnt/ext obviously, but when I tried, it gave me a "cannot allocate memory" error. This doesn't sound good. I'm sure the reason gpe and qtopia aren't running is because they can't get enough memory. Is it possible that my gp2x is running stuff in the background that is taking up too much memory? Right now, my gp2x has lost a lot of its original value. I just bought $200 worth of accessories and now I'm pissed.

Thanks for any help. I am truly desperate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too long. I know its not that I wasn't waiting long enough. I was thinking about reflashing the firmware. I think I have done it. All I have to do is hold down start and select correct? I will check up on that. Thanks for the fast responses.

Perhaps you could use the killall command on a few processes. "killall foo.gpe" or even better "killall -9 foo.gpe".

Its fixed. I reflashed the firmware and its working perfectly again. Sorda weird error, but glad I don't have to worry about it anymore. And its registering the hdd fine now too. Thanks for all those fast replies.

Back