Cannot Connect (CC Pandora)

TylerAW

I just got my new Pandora, I am in love and I don't even have any apps on it... I forgot to buy an SD card  :unsure:  lol... anyway, I cannot seem to get it connected to the internet. We use a 'WPA2 PSK' security method, I enter the right password but it just doesn't want to do it. Does the Pandora have issues with password protected networks or something?

I give up, I don't know if there is some magic you need to use on the Pandora, but it will not connect.

Nevermind, I guess I am now connected... weird. I now need to figure out how to disable wifi power saving, because this is slow as heck.

They helped, but I couldn't get the packet checker to work right. It said literally zero packets were sent back by my router which I don't think makes sense, I can use the internet and download things, just very slowly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just curious did you buy this Pandora from a third party? I know Craig did sell some units with defective Wifi/bad nubs...etc for a considerable discount at one point and wondering if you could of ended up with one of those. Well even if you didn't, the Pandora is notorious for poor wifi performance, the nokia n900 uses the same chip and has been known for similar issues.

Also worth pointing out that CC also has additional wifi issues that other Pandora versions doesn't have.

Yeah, there's something about bridging a resistor with an extra resistor on CC boards. Perhaps it's in the above links, but I've not checked them.

They helped, but I couldn't get the packet checker to work right. It said literally zero packets were sent back by my router which I don't think makes sense, I can use the internet and download things, just very slowly.
I find dmesg to be sufficient for debugging connection issues so far fwiw.

System Info can also tell you upload and download stats on a pretty graph if you've managed to get connected.

Yeah, there's something about bridging a resistor with an extra resistor on CC boards. Perhaps it's in the above links, but I've not checked them.

I find dmesg to be sufficient for debugging connection issues so far fwiw.

System Info can also tell you upload and download stats on a pretty graph if you've managed to get connected.
Ooo, I'll check that. I may just buy that USB Wifi Dongle... is there a way to check how much "juice" is being drained by USB devices? Right now I have a 64GB USB Flash Drive hooked into the back and I am curious. If he still does upgrades I may just save up and do a full GHz upgrade in the future too. (if the upgrade cost isn't 500 dollars.. sheesh)

Yeah, I can get 30-80 KB/s not great, if I got the 'Wireless N-150' Wifi Dongle for my Open Pandora, how much would that improve? It claims it can go up to 150mb/s (15 Megabytes per second) but I kind of doubt it would reach that far, I would be happy with anything above 2 Megabytes though)

I rarely get about about 90KBps on my Ghz in the living room. If I put the Pandora under the router though, I can get up to about 1MBps, which pretty much saturates the 802.11g connection (theoretical 54Mbps my arse).

Wrt USB power requirements, I find leaving USB host on alone means my battery is at less than 20% at the end of the day, even if I've not been playing on it much (just listening to music, and playing for an hour or so), so I reckon that on it's own is equivalent to about an hour and a half of gaming time. It still lasts me a day easily though.

I rarely get about about 90KBps on my Ghz in the living room. If I put the Pandora under the router though, I can get up to about 1MBps, which pretty much saturates the 802.11g connection (theoretical 54Mbps my arse).

Wrt USB power requirements, I find leaving USB host on alone means my battery is at less than 20% at the end of the day, even if I've not been playing on it much (just listening to music, and playing for an hour or so), so I reckon that on it's own is equivalent to about an hour and a half of gaming time. It still lasts me a day easily though.
Could you elaborate more? You said you leave USB Host on (I am currently doing that by default for my 64GB Flash Stick).

You claim 20% by the end of the day, through using it all day? Like with the screen on? Or just music and off? Gaming?

Are you using a USB Wifi dongle for the host and that is when you get 90KPps?

Finally you said 90 minutes of gaming time, on 20% power or at 100?! Cause if at 100 then that sounds like a huge issue...

90 minutes gaming on top of my normal gaming and listening music for about five hours a day (screen off if I'm just listening). Gaming at the moment is mainly either DS emulation or homebrew. Note I also don't use low power/standby mode, since my power switch is currently broken.

Perhaps on the day I tested I'd unplugged it in the morning towards the bottom of it's maintain charge cycle (so about 80%), but I can't be sure any more. Also, I'm listening to FLAC-encoded music which might be more CPU-intensive than MP3/other lossy codec. All I know is that getting to 20% at the end of the day usually happens if I've been gaming on it a lot at the weekend or if I accidentally left USB host on after using it for a bit, which I estimate to be a gaming time difference of about 90 minutes.

I don't use a USB wifi dongle, so all speeds are using internal wifi. The GHz and rebirth units all have improved wifi performance over the CC, so it's a reasonable indicator of the best you should be hoping for with fixed internal wifi. A dongle might get you more, but like I say, on my router it floods the network at those speeds (admittedly, I'm fetching stuff from another computer connected over wifi, so double those speeds for total thruput).

Yeah, I can get 30-80 KB/s not great, if I got the 'Wireless N-150' Wifi Dongle for my Open Pandora, how much would that improve? It claims it can go up to 150mb/s (15 Megabytes per second) but I kind of doubt it would reach that far, I would be happy with anything above 2 Megabytes though)
Your current speeds are about what mine are with internal wifi (although I did see occasional short spikes into a couple hundred Kbps).  With the USB adapter I have I don't usually monitor it since the speeds are decent.  It might be a little slower than laptops and such on my network, but even when slow I often get close to 2Mb.  I suppose I could check to see what my average and max are, but I use cable, so it varies throughout the day.   Regarding battery life with USB wifi, it does decrease it more quickly, but I always turn USB Host off if I am not doing updates or web browsing, and take it out of the back (or I end up poking and messing with it since it is where my fingers are).  My scores suck too much to compete in C4A stuff, so I guess that works out ok for me for saving the battery.

Okay, I've just run a test using a USB 802.11n wifi nubbin supplied by ED with my Pandora, but not used till now. My Pandora was charged to 99% this morning, at which point I took it off charge, enabled USB host and connected to the local wifi. During its run I listened to 3 hours of MP3s (~140MB of music) and 1h40m of FLAC music (~600MB of music), and played around an hour of DraStic emulation. I also used the web a little (using firefox), but otherwise didn't use that much, but left it connected to the router throughout.

The red light indicating 10% charge remaining started flashing at just shy of 12 hours. The wifi nub got perceptably warm in use, indicating it's at least consuming a not insignificant wattage.

I'll do a little more testing if I get chance tomorrow and see what the power consumption is with USB host enabled or not, the nubbin in or not, the nubbin connected or not, and for comparison, internal wifi on. But it seems to me that if you're prepared to switch it off when not in use and charge your Pandora every day, you could use your pandora pretty intensively while using a USB wifi nubbin without worrying too much.

The wifi nub got perceptably warm in use, indicating it's at least consuming a not insignificant wattage.
I have experienced this with mine as well.  It is part of why I turn off USB host when not using it.

Levi's results make me question the practicality of all day use of 3G in Pyras.  It may be far more efficient, though.

Okay, I've run the discharge tests now.

UH off/plug out - ~1.1W

UH off/plug in - ~1.1W

UH on/in/connected - ~1.5W

UH on/in/disconnected - ~1.3W

UH on/plug out ~ 1.25W

UH off/internal wifi connected - 1.15W

So to summarise, if I eliminate the baseline power (lid open, screen/backlight on, everything else off, standard background apps running but idle) it shows the following usages:

USB Host - 0.15W

Wifi nubbin baseline power (scanning for networks) - 0.05W

Wifi nubbin power to maintain connection - 0.2W

Internal wifi - 0.05W

So the good news is that if you switch off USB host but leave the nubbin in it doesn't use any juice, so you can switch wifi on and off using the USB host control and not worry about physically unplugging (and losing) the nubbin. That bad news is my wifi nubbin uses about eight times the juice that using the internal wifi does.

To plumb those numbers into real battery usage, considering the 12 hour test I did earlier which used 90% of the battery, the wifi nubbin in that time would use 0.4W*12h=4.8Wh. The Pandora's battery is a 4Ah*4V 16Wh unit, so USB host+wifi nubbin power is around three tenths of the battery's capacity in that time. That's a signficant chunk, though if you disable USB host when you're not using it, you could easily limit that to say, a tenth of the battery capacity. Or if you insist on leaving wifi on continuously, and connected, it's easy to charge the Pandora's battery using mini USB, or a PSP charge cable of any sort, so it's easily to have a second charge point wherever you spend your time.

I wouldn't worry too much about 3G on the Pyra. I'd compare that more to the internal wifi than the USB host wifi nubbin, since it's internal. The internal wifi uses less than a 13th of the battery capacity during a 24 hour cycle according to my numbers, and I'd expect 3G to use less than 802.11g wifi as it was designed for mobile usage rather than a semi-static network (even if most smartphones these days can use wifi too). And on top of that, the Pyra should have a bigger battery.

My experience with the N900 (which uses the same wifi chip from what I heard), using 3G actively costed way more in battery time than just plain wifi. I didn't do exact timing tests, but battery lasted a day with just internal wifi, and a few hours with active 3G usage.

I wouldn't blame the WIFI chip itself, I believe the poor connection is rather the antenna's fault. Ever since I plugged a big antenna from an old notebook into my Pandora, I get decent connection speeds and I even manage to connect to my neighbors' WIFI.

Back