Cant Get Fmsx To Work

IbiteHRD

Still Fresh
hi, just got my gp2x and tried my first crack at it. Im trying to use fmsx. When I boot up the emulator I get a blue screen that says: MSX BASIC version 2.1 copyright 1986 by microsoft disk basic version 1.0. Thats it I cant do anyting. any help would be great.

IbiteHRD posted on Feb 15 2006 at 10:59 PM said:

Put some rom images in the fmsx folder, get the selector utility and use the configuration files from the fmsx sample to be able to select various roms to run with the fmsx emulator. Once you get it running various games don't be too disappointed with the emulator has poor joystick reponse. Only the small horizontal en vertical joystick readouts are used for joystick inputs. Diagonals aren't processed by the emulator which makes games like SpacemanBow run great but renders them not very playable.

Great to see the MSX 2.0 logo scroll up the screen of my gp2x though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, where do I get the selector utility from? Do I download it off the web?

hmm..maybe its or...

i0ve downloaded the selector,but i dont' understand how it supoosed to work.in the folder of the selector,there is a "samples" folder,with various examples,like the fmsx folder,which is the one i nedd.well,i've put this folder (and its files) EVERYWHERE on the fmsx main folder,,but when i try to run the "selector" fmsx exeuctable,i only get a black screen :(

could someone explain how it works?

Solstar posted on Mar 8 2006 at 09:49 AM said:
nobody?? :huh: :unsure:
Can you list where on your card you have put the files. Thanks

yes.i have put the fmsx main folder(with roms)in the root,then the selector folder also on the root.then i took the .gpe files from the "Samples" folder of the selector,and put them on the main fmsx folder.then,from there,(the fmsx fodler)i tried to run the executables,but only a black screen appears

Put the files like this.

Code:
SD Root/fsmx
             /fmsx.gpe - (1.23mb) remove the .gpe part it's not needed. 
             /cmos.rom
             /disk.rom
             /fmpac.rom
             /kanji.rom
             /msx2.rom
             /msx2ext.rom
             /msx2p.rom
             /msx2pext.rom
             /msx.rom
             /painter.rom
             /selector - place your selector file here. 
             /fmsx_config - you can download the one I put up for you. 
             /fmsx.gpe - the launch script you need to write, or use the basic one I put in with the fmsx_config.zip

Get the fmsx_config from here.

In my fmsx_config I have defined that the game roms are in the directory sd/roms/msx so you will need to make a folder in that location. This is in keeping with the likes of DrMDx, squidgesnes etc. AFAIK the roms need to be unzipped with this current version of fmsx.

If your selector screen is looking pale and washed out and you have the cpu_speed.gpe on your sd card. Let me know where on the card you have it placed and I will tell what lines to add to the .gpe to fix things.

I hope this helps.

:D

great now it works!what a pain in the a$$...i hope the next release (if any)will be like any other emu...

btw,just to know,what i did wrong?there was something to be "recompiled"?

Solstar posted on Mar 8 2006 at 06:48 PM said:
great now it works!what a pain in the a$$...i hope the next release (if any)will be like any other emu...

btw,just to know,what i did wrong?there was something to be "recompiled"?

It look liked you just neeeded to put the selector exe in the fmsx folder and not in it's own folder on the root. The fmsx_config from the samples folder can be used but I didn't have it to hand to see what it said, so I sent you mine as I would know where the selector would be looking for the roms. Lastly you needed to make a new fmsx.gpe that says launch the selctor and look at the config for your instructions.

fceugp2x (nes emu)
infones (nes emu)
vba2x (gba emu) all still use the selector program so the same principle applies to them.

By the way was the selector screen in good contrast for you. For me when I launch without a script to set the LCD timings it looks pale and shimmers slightly.

If you want to overclock then you can do so by adjusting the fmsx.gpe.

Solstar posted on Mar 8 2006 at 11:04 PM said:
was the selector screen in good contrast for you

yes it was good

f you want to overclock then you can do so by adjusting the fmsx.gpe.

how can i adjust the .gpe executable? :huh:

Just use a good notepad program like programmer's notepad to open the .gpe and change the script. The page is here http://www.pnotepad.org

At the moment it says.
Code:
#!/bin/sh

./selector ./fmsx_config
sync
cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

To overclock you need the CPU/LCD Tweaker from the file archive, I'll assume you have that already and that the cpu_speed.gpe is in the root directory of your sd card.

Then say, to overclock to 266mhz you would enter something like this.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 0 2 266
./selector ./fmsx_config
sync
cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Then just save it.

When you run fmsx you should see the selector displays the clockspeed as 266mhz. If you want any other clock speed just change the last value.

The first two values are the LCD setting and LCD timing values. To learn more about those have a look at the readme that comes with the CPU/LCD Tweaker.

:)

Back