Caprice Won't Run My .sna Files

B)-->
b._.o._.b said:
Gracias Kaos! Just tried some dsk's and indeed they start (if the dsk contains disk.bin or disc.bin). Speed is great, and looks really compatible. As you probably know, sound is horrible :)
For the moment for a better sound you can overclock to 250 the GP2X :D
Anyway, the sound is not the best of the original Caprice32 for PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rivroner posted on Feb 27 2007 at 09:02 PM said:
For the moment for a better sound you can overclock to 250 the GP2X :D
Anyway, the sound is not the best of the original Caprice32 for PC.

Hmm, haven't tried overclocking. Thanks!

Well it is a bit better indeed, but sound stays quite horrible. I'm not sure if sound is fixed it will be pleasant to listen to. The sound remind me of the first dos games.. brr...
I liked playing Nakamoto though, not a very well known title, but I played it a lot on the Sharp Mz800. That version had better graphics, but gameplay seems similar (maybe a bit easier).

Sound is good, the problem is that is linked to emulation, and if the emulation is not 100 % then sound is choppy.If you oveclock 280 or more you get perfect game and sound in almost all games.Althought therea re more games that with a 250 OC are running full speed and perfect sound.
I have an original CPC 6128 and sound emulation is perfect, when emulation ratio is 100 % of course.

Wow, I never noticed there was an update. Thanks Kaos :)
one wee question, does anyone know if it's possible to convert cpr files into the disc or tape formats?

EDIT: ah, found out, cpr and dsk are exactly the same, just need to change the names :)
Kaos, any chance you could get the emu to recognise cpr files as the same as dsk's? (I think cpr files are quite common)

Godmil posted on Mar 5 2007 at 04:44 PM said:
Wow, I never noticed there was an update. Thanks Kaos :)
one wee question, does anyone know if it's possible to convert cpr files into the disc or tape formats?

EDIT: ah, found out, cpr and dsk are exactly the same, just need to change the names :)
Kaos, any chance you could get the emu to recognise cpr files as the same as dsk's? (I think cpr files are quite common)

No sorry, CPR files are CPC PLUS cartridge dumps, and the CPC+ is not supported under Caprice. Plus CPC's have a muchs more complex CRTC video chip and some other advanced features, but only for Plus cartridge games. There where no more than 20 exclusive games for this system, and also there was an incompatibility issue with a few ones from the classic games. Arnold runs Plus hardware but in the initial "raw" ports from Caprice and Arnold, this last one get a very poor speed. and think that Caprice, much faster, is not full speed for now.

CPR really has nothing to do with DSK as you can see. maybe you could confuse a DSK under Arnold's autorun disc feature and a CPR under Plus mode because you open a file and just run by itself. There are some ways of converting a DSK into a CPR, but it's just a faked disc converted into ROM blocks, and an AMSDOS (The CPC's Disc Operating System) hacked for loading disk sectors of drive A: from ROM blocks (And an autorun feature to make the magic of loading the cartridge and run by itself) But this is just usefull under REAL CPC plus, because you can burn the CPR into an EPROM and use real cartrides with the converted game... Under an emulator you don't mind using a DSK or a CPR if you get the same :)

About CapriceGP2x, I have uploaded to GP32SPAIN a "demo" with a useless virtual keyboard (It types nothing but is just a test of the keyboard core at its actual state). You can taste it at http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread....3901#post603901

It doesn't correct any bugs, it's just the last WIP + menus bug hotfix (Which you can get from the start of that threath) patched with the virtual keyboard. You lost the trigger keys (left rigger opens keyboard, right trigger moves keyboard) but appart of the virtual keyboard test, it doesnt' give new features for the emulation :)

Enjoy!!!

ah, sorry, clearly I was mistaken :)
Could I ask a rarther simple question, how exactly do you get dsk's to load?
I've gone into the disk menu and loaded a proper dsk file, then if I tell it to do 'cat' it comes up with the file names, but if I tell it to do 'load "disk' or 'load "disc' it just complains and does nothing (cant find the exact output at the moment sorry my batteries are charging).
Is there another way to load dsk's?

Oh and thanks for the great work you're doing Kaos, looking forward to seeing the keyboard.

Godmil posted on Mar 7 2007 at 03:09 PM said:
ah, sorry, clearly I was mistaken :)
Could I ask a rarther simple question, how exactly do you get dsk's to load?
I've gone into the disk menu and loaded a proper dsk file, then if I tell it to do 'cat' it comes up with the file names, but if I tell it to do 'load "disk' or 'load "disc' it just complains and does nothing (cant find the exact output at the moment sorry my batteries are charging).
Is there another way to load dsk's?

For now, you only can load DSK files which main executable is DISK or DISC (BAS, BIN or extensionless) or |CPM loader discs. For other kind of DSK's you can try renaming the executables in a PC CPCemu (Caprice32, WinApe, CPCE, WinCPC) with the command |REN,"NEWNAME.EXT","OLDNAME.EXT" (Starting ith the pipe character, which is at the right of the "P" key, using the SHIFT key)

Most of the commercial versions of the games runs with DISC or DISK... The problem is with cracked/ripped versions... they have whattever name for running...

Other solution is using the DES roms (A simple GUI for real CPC's), just copy DES1.ROM and DES2.ROM to the ROMS folder and will load. You use the joystick to move and fire to select. So you load a DSK, exit the CpariceGP2x menu, and "click" over the Drive A icon. It will open, select the desired executable, then go to "FILE" top menu, then RUN... It will exit the GUI and execute the RUN"whatever" you have selected. This is just an easy patch for loading "any DSK" using DES... The good way will be when the Vkeyboard is finished ;) The DES url is in that threath at GP32spain if I'm right... If you don't like DES for this use, just delete de ROMS and it will be "uninstalled" :D

Another way of loading DSK's I have in mind is making some kind of DSK navigator, so you select the DSK, and select some kind of "DSK files" rather than one of the RUN"DISC" options. The directory of the DSK will be presented and you select the file to make the correct RUN"file" command... But this will be in a far future, first I would like to finish the keyboard and correct many bugs :D

Back