Castaway: Do we need medium res?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Should I set up my own forum system for Castaway? Or is the excitement shortlived? I don't want to keep taking over GP32x (Well, of course I *do*, it makes me proud, but I feel sorry for the Gp32x gang ;)

Do we need medium res support in Castaway/GP? Or even highres?

ie: Medium res is like low res, but two screens wide. So I coudl make it so you toggle sides, or just show every other column of pixels, so you get medium res but scrunched. High res is like low res, but anm extra screen wide and tall.. so 4 screens. I coudl scrunch that, too, or let you pagel right and down..

Scrunching is easier ;)

Does anyone care about these resolutions?

(ie: The Pawn, Calamus, Cubase ;)

jeff

Personally not fussed with regards higher resolutions. I am waiting on some sound implementation so that running Rude Llamatron in a public place would be all the more rewarding! ;)

A medium res might be nice - same with High. I'd guess scrunching would be the best way to resize... possibly (i.e. in an ideal world where there's a much larger CPU time margin) with Bilinear filtering too :) - thought not lol

skeezix posted on May 2 2003 said:
Should I set up my own forum system for Castaway? Or is the excitement shortlived? I don't want to keep taking over GP32x (Well, of course I *do*, it makes me proud, but I feel sorry for the Gp32x gang ;)
Just ask hando - we also got an extra forum for GPEngine here on the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you would like, take a look at ipaq3.handhelds.org and checkout the sources for MaxMame and MaxMess. They are based off of advancedmame which has some excellent options for resolutions. I am surrently working on porting MaxMame over to the gp32. They are in my home directory of /home/guest/dsolomo1@maine.rr.com

David

Awesome news! Keep us informed if you wish, everyone here is insatiable when it comes to new emulators.

I think medium and high res would help compatability. But I guess sound is more important. Wasn't ST medium res 640x256 4 colours, amd high 640x512 2 colours? (at least that was the res on PAL). If so you could get real medium res using sub pixel rendering. Imagine that, aGP running in 640x256 -although only in black and white I think

here's an explanation:

http://grc.com/ctwhat.htm

khephren posted on May 3 2003 said:
I think medium and high res would help compatability. But I guess sound is more important. Wasn't ST medium res 640x256 4 colours, amd high 640x512 2 colours? (at least that was the res on PAL). If so you could get real medium res using sub pixel rendering. Imagine that, aGP running in 640x256 -although only in black and white I think

here's an explanation:

http://grc.com/ctwhat.htm
320x200 low, 640x200 med, 640x400 high.

I dunno much about subpixel rendering.. interesting thought. I do know subpix is always much slower to work with (or traditionally is, with Palm apps that do it ;)

For now I'll build some squish-technique medium rez, and then maybe a left/right selector, that sort of thing. Then worry about fancy :)

jeff

While i'm here i'd like to say thank you for emulating one of favourite machines (well..and the amiga of course!) you've made commuting a much more fun experience. In fact i'm not sure i'd have bought my GP if it wasn't for the ST emulator pushing me over the edge. Divx, Mp3 pcengine, and then ST. It was all to much for me.

khephren posted on May 3 2003 said:
While i'm here i'd like to say thank you for emulating one of favourite machines (well..and the amiga of course!) you've made commuting a much more fun experience. In fact i'm not sure i'd have bought my GP if it wasn't for the ST emulator pushing me over the edge. Divx, Mp3 pcengine, and then ST. It was all to much for me.
*g* I drive. Sometime sI miss taking the train :)

Glad to make the day a little easier!

jeff

Back