Castaway Help

amishaziz

Can someone please be kind enough to give me a solution.

For some time I have been struggling to play the olde Elite (the version by Mr Micro), on my GP, under Castaway 16.1.

The problem is the keyboard is not all there (or I am inept, and have not worked out how to select the rest of it), I hope this is all it is.

My grumble is that I can not locate a "/" (slash key), on the key map, which I need to decrease speed.

Help gratefully received.

Asteroid said:
Can someone please be kind enough to give me a solution.

For some time I have been struggling to play the olde Elite (the version by Mr Micro), on my GP, under Castaway 16.1.

The problem is the keyboard is not all there (or I am inept, and have not worked out how to select the rest of it), I hope this is all it is.

My grumble is that I can not locate a "/" (slash key), on the key map, which I need to decrease speed.

Help gratefully received.

I can't see the "/" key either. The only thing I can think of is using a configuration file and bind a button to "ST_SLASH". The castaway help file provides more information on how to do this.

Later
Reesy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the advice, it is gratefully received.

I am also looking into a chatboard option, for a solution.

Regards.

Cool. I have a chat board and the "/" slash key is only available when pressing shift...but the chatboard driver only supports pressing 1 button at a time so this is not possible to press shift and the "B" key at the same time. So you're probably going to end up having to setup a config anyway. But good luck to you.

GP32 forever!

Reesy

slightly drunk because England lost to Germany...bummer.

Thanks for the info on the chatboard, it's really appreciated.

I was at work earlier (12.5hr shift, and missed the match), when I saw your reply, and can happily paste my config below, now that I am home:

# Castaway / GP32
# Mr Micro / Elite
# Config by Asteroid of GP32Xtreme
# With big thanks to Reesy of GP32Xtreme
#
# Decrease Speed = Left Shoulder
bind-fl ST_SLASH
#
# Increase Speed = Right Shoulder
bind-fr ST_SPACE
#
# Toggle Keyboard = Select (Frame skip conflict)
#bind-select toggle-keyboard (Remove #)
#
# Up
bind-up joy-up
#
# Down
bind-down joy-down
#
# Left
bind-left joy-left
#
# Right
bind-right joy-right
#
# Galaxy Map = A button
bind-a ST_5
#
# Trigger = B Button
bind-b joy-fire
#
# Clock = 144MHZ
clock-speed 3
#
# Toggle Frame Skip (Frame skip conflict)
#toggle-frameskip ST_MINUS (Remove #)
#
# End.

(cut & paste above, into text editor, then save as a suitable file name with a "CNF" extender).

Thank you for the pointer earlier. I am almost there, I wished to re configure the select button too, and remove the frameskip, so I could have a keyboard toggle instead. Alas it seems fixed like the start button.

As it is, I select the "named" config file on booting up Castaway, then the "game" file, and "Start" button to load. Then on loading press "Start" again, to select "Custom Input", and I am away. The only sticky point is to use the keyboard I must press the "Start" button, then select "Keyboard Input" (and then re select "Custom Input", when done), but hey it works, and lets me play this game on my GP32 <big-idiot-grin>, oh but will I make it to Elite! (probably not).

I also put the clock speed up a bit (bonus).

Once again you have my grateful thanks, for your help.

PS - yes the national pride is hurt :(

Hi,

It seems to have taken you a good while to get over the amount you drank, you must have drunk alot more then you let on.

ED on the other hand, was my prime candidate for being put out of action after the match, and his postings have been unaffected from the results of any celebrating - go figure!.

Thanks again.

I had the latest code for Castaway for the GP32 and compiled and made up some optimizations. The result is that it runs a fair bit faster.
I didn't know if anyone is still interested in the GP32? Are they?

slaanesh said:
I had the latest code for Castaway for the GP32 and compiled and made up some optimizations. The result is that it runs a fair bit faster.

Me :) I was playing DrSMS and DrMD at the weekend. Also wish I'd seen this thread earlier as I mapped Elite on Castaway years ago. Jeff will probably be interested in an optimised Castaway too.

slaanesh said:

Still interested in the GP32!!, I got 9.

Hell I use mine all the time. Any new works are always appreciated.

Thanks for still supporting the old GP32.

9 :blink: hehe.

I second the thanks for supporting the GP32 Slaanesh. My GP32 gets a lot more attention than my DS even if I do forget to check the GP32 board half the time LOL.

@ BaDToaD

I have OCD (quite bad), or that I type date :D

@ Slaanesh

I don't suppose that it supports MIDI, does it?, wouldn't hurt.

Back