Castaway.. Needs Auto-frameskip?

Antiriad posted on Oct 28 2004 at 01:06 PM said:
so if you managed to incorporate Cyclone into CaSTaway, would you then consider implementing Hatari's sound core to solve the sound sampling?

/me shrugs

For cyclone it depends; is it complete and stable yet, or 90%? I'll have to see again.

As to Hatari I'll have to look into it; I started a port ahwile back, but it didn't seam like it'd be as fast, though I think it shoudl be more compatable (or at least differnelty compatible, which would be nice. It runs the Sensi Soccer .. ;)

I need to write a new mixer I think; I think my current sound setup is pretty close.. really good FM, but its mixing the samples in based on the same buffers as the FM, so I think if I use a different set of buffers and mix them better it could work out.

So much to do, so little time. Damn real life and burnout :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
ok jeff np, if you can solve sound sampling without using Hatari code so bet it :D

and you will use my splash screens wont you? ;)

skeezix posted on Oct 28 2004 at 08:07 AM said:
I could remove "Joystick"; I put it there so you know what mode you're in; ie: If you're not in the standard mouse mode, it puts the mode name there. Removing it might be confusing. I could perhaps make it vanish after a second.

This would be perfect! Have the "Joystick" word appear and then disappear after a few seconds...

skeezix posted on Oct 28 2004 at 03:07 PM said:
I do need to look into a brightness function; the existing one was a cheap hack I think .. it was trying to be fast (per pixel colouring is tough to be fast on), but in the end dind't work out really well I guess; it worked out for the games I cared about ;)

I suppose when the emu sets various colour sin the palette, perhaps I should just alter what it sets, so that its not a per pixel calculation. If it sets a dark colour, I could use a lighter colour. The trick is trying to scale them all so it looks better.

ie: I was just bumping colours up in the palette; if its RGB, I just increased each up a notch.. as oyu can see, once things get closer to the top of RGB they go to *white* whichis why things tended to gray out.

If somethign is RGB(5,0,0) when it scales I guess it should stay as (7,0,0) perhaps and likely does.

But if something is RGB(5,2,2) and you scale it.. should it become (8,4,4) say? At this point you see the red brightened, but also the other guys so it starts to be reddy-gray I'd guess. PErhaps I'm scaling incorrectly.. I'll have to experiment.

I may be able to help you a bit, since I work in the TV / film business.

The trick to make it brighter and still look good is not to just make everything brighter. This will mostly always look ugly.

You have to change the gamma curve.

Example:

This is what it looks without any brightness:

Original color brightness Castaway color brightness
0% 0%
10% 10%
30% 30%
100% 100%

This is what it should look like if you make the gamma brighter:
(only approximately, you need to create a nice gamma curve and try
the best settings for the GP32 LCD)

Original color brightness Castaway color brightness
0% 0%
10% 15%
20% 27%
30% 39%
40% 51%
50% 61%
60% 69%
70% 77%
80% 85%
90% 93%
100% 100%

So basically, instead of just making everything brighter, black should stay black (otherwise it will look washed out), but all colors between should be shifted using a curve, so the darker areas will become brighter.
Same for light areas: If you just make them brighter, a light grey looks the same as white, and that shouldn't be. So you also need to use a curve for that.

If you need more help / information, feel free to contact me :)

Last edited:
i've got a simple request... an option to invert the mouse up/down axis. i don't know why, but some games have them swapped. the frameskip is fine, as far as i can tell... :)

You have to be careful here. What might look good on a non-lit, or FLU may not look so great on the BLU. The way it is now looks great on the BLU, so I can't complain.

So basically, instead of just making everything brighter, black should stay black (otherwise it will look washed out), but all colors between should be shifted using a curve, so the darker areas will become brighter.

If you need more help / information, feel free to contact me :)

I noticed this on Reesys DrMD emu. The background is grey instead of black making it look washed out. I sure hope he fixes that as it would be a shame if it was so good every place else but always looked washed out. I mentioned it in the first version but I don't think he responded to the idea. Maybe he doesn't notice it on his FLU.

You have to be careful here. What might look good on a non-lit, or FLU may not look so great on the BLU. The way it is now looks great on the BLU, so I can't complain.

Yeah, I know, but as is just a configurable setting, nothing will change if you don't change the gamma ;) So it will look good on the BLU the way it is.

Maybe we even need different curve settings for FLU, BLU and non-lit.
I can try out non-lit and BLU, as I have both at home, and tell you how it looks.

Last edited:

Yeah, I know, but as is just a configurable setting, nothing will change if you don't change the gamma ;) So it will look good on the BLU the way it is.

Maybe we even need different curve settings for FLU, BLU and non-lit.
I can try out non-lit and BLU, as I have both at home, and tell you how it looks.

Have you noticed that the background in DrMD is too bright? Try it on the BLU and compare with fGen, and look at the black areas.

Have you noticed that the background in DrMD is too bright? Try it on the BLU and compare with fGen, and look at the black areas.

I have noticed it, but it's not that bad. Haven't tried it with my non-lit though.
I used to play castaway on my non-lit and without setting the brightness higher, it was too dark, and with setting the brightness higher, too ugly ;)

Last edited:
Have you noticed that the background in DrMD is too bright?  Try it on the BLU and compare with fGen, and look at the black areas.

I have noticed it, but it's not that bad. Haven't tried it with my non-lit though.
I used to play castaway on my non-lit and without setting the brightness higher, it was too dark, and with setting the brightness higher, too ugly ;)

I was playing a space game on the BLU and it looked like space was hazy and washed out with DrMd. It is like when you have a TV set too bright and see the raster when you should be seeing black. It bothered me because I played the same game on fGen and it looked much better, with the black background and improved contrast. I wonder how hard it would be for someone to go in and change the code to make it black. Do you think it would be hard?

Back