Centipede 1/6 Replica Kickstarter

Hmmm, all I can see on that page is that it's 12" tall. Is there anywhere else where it shows the other dimensions?

What other dimensions do you really need, are you limited in the area you can place this? LOL Yeah, it's 1/6 scale, so I guess you could probably take the full arcade cab dimensions and do some math and you would probably be close, but to what end I guess is the question? I'm sure if you message New Wave they can give you the exact dimensions of whatever you may need. Sorry, I had already put mine away when I realized you needed more than what was shown on the details page.

Well, I just tried mine out, and I have to agree with ClockworkCoder, as the controls are way better than I thought they would ever be. They are using micro switches for sure, and it shows, as the controls are spot on, just way small. It's not ideal, but I could see having some decent match ups on this thing. It also has to USB ports, so other joysticks or gamepads can be used as well(didn't try that feature yet). Having now used this, they really should have come up with something better in regards to the rotary dial of the Tempest, as that unit is the only one that seems to have missed the mark on controls. Which is a shame, as the controls is what makes Tempest, Tempest.

They also added some better protection inside the shipping box, as to allow for space within the shipping box, to provide extra protection to the actual unit box. The cab also is more weighted than the past games, and I can assume that's for stability while having knock down drag out matches. You can see where this unit is probably the best so far, as it seems to show a level progression since the first of better build quality. While I still like the 1/4 scale of Numskulls offerings best, as I think 1/4 allows for a finer level of detail overall, these New Wave cabs are damn nice in their own right and for the difference in cost, is a fair trade off for what you get. Both are amazing, and really are true to there arcade originals, it just comes down to funds, space and which size is more preferred.

Chris

Just a heads up for those who may be interested, here is New Wave Toys latest offering............DRAGONS LAIR! I've been waiting on this one and I guess others where to, as it's killing over at KS in just one day. Hopefully this means Space Ace & DL2 makes a visit at some later date.

Then for those who may be in to the bigger 1/4 scale offerings from Numskull, here are their options. Now be aware, Galaga is their next release, but Pac-Man was offered several places in the states once it was released, which led to decent discounts over time. Pac-Man had a run of 10,000 which was way high in my opinion for something like this, but they did seem to use that for two runs, fixing any issues in the second half batch. I haven't seen any mention on what their other run sizes will be, but I'll assume they may be smaller, but maybe more if it's a popular title. There is no bonus to ordering early here, unless you think you may miss out on a cab, so act accordingly. They offer these on their EU site, as well as their US one, and the option for either is given once you hit the order button. http://www.numskull.com/quarter-arcades/

EDIT: It appears as if Galaga was just released, and Ms. Pac-Man is due next month. These guys need to space these out more, especially at the higher cost. Hopefully that means they don't sell out before I can grab my units, as this isn't the time of year for stuff like this, unless they are banking on tons of holiday shoppers for these(which I doubt).

Chris

Last edited:
Was lucky to find a new Centipede at Best Buy two months ago. I'd be curious to hear from other Centipede owners about their experience with the battery life after updating the unit's firmware. I probably wasn't even getting a full day's use out of a fully charged battery before ordering the free firmware update kit from New Wave Toys. And now after the update I get... a whopping three days of battery life. At first I thought this can't be right and my battery must just not be able to hold a charge anymore because it's been dead for so long. So the New Wave folks were very nice to send me two more batteries.

Each one I charged and monitored. Each one lasted three days. At this point I was sure there was something else going on. So I charged a battery and unplugged it from its PCB. I waited four days and then plugged it back in to check its charge. It was still completely charged! And now that it's plugged in, it is once again draining fast. There has got to be something else that's still draining this thing.

Is anyone else getting more than 3-4 days of life out of their battery after the firmware update?

Last edited:
I leave mine permantly plugged in. Haven't tried the firmware update yet, as they didn't officially support Linux and I was both nervous about bricking it, and too lazy to investigate. So afraid I'm not sure.

Yeah, I tested mine after the update, and it seemed better, but my test was probably beyond basic at best, so my results may have been similar to yours. While these are small, they are for from portable, and they'll only ever be used for the novelty, so battery life was never a big concern for me. So long as it works plugged in, I'm good, and I also plan to get New Wave's token machine USB hub, so down the road once all are displayed, I'll keep them plugged in to that.

EDIT: They also have an update for Tempest that helps with the control feel, but I haven't done that one yet. And Numskull has an update for Pac-Man that reduces the lives from 5 back to the original 3, and that's on my to do list as well.

Chris

Last edited:
Back