Chaotic Vortex - Dual Stick Arena Shooter

Geometry Wars originated in Project Gotham Racing 2 on the original Xbox as an arcade game in the garage. It received a sequel on Xbox 360.

The basic gameplay is as follows:
You control a small "ship" confined to a rectangular arena where enemies pop up and you must destroy them. The left analog stick controls movement, while the right fires in any direction when it's pushed. There were also bombs to help out. IIRC, there were no levels, just wave after wave of enemies that constantly spawn.

It's a very fun, fast-paced game, and it can be very difficult. Someone even made a version of it for PSP that was very well made.
Video: Geometry Wars on YouTube

... dammit... I shouldn't have looked that up. Now I want to play it. Work, Tj, work!!

Edit: It has very little resemblance to the Touhou series other than bullets and top down view. Think of it more as an advanced version of Asteroids, or a ship version of Smash T.V.

Last edited by a moderator:
-Tj- said:
Geometry Wars originated in Project Gotham Racing 2 on the original Xbox as an arcade game in the garage. It received a sequel on Xbox 360.
I can swear I played a clone on my GP2X, especially after seeing the video.

Edit to remove most of the quoted text for space.

There very well might have been one... was it Vektar? That's the only one I found, and it looks like it played differently, more like Asteroids. I did a little searching and found there was also an official Wii version and DS version. Seems there were two PSP clones as well.

-Tj- said:
There very well might have been one... was it Vektar? That's the only one I found, and it looks like it played differently, more like Asteroids. I did a little searching and found there was also an official Wii version and DS version. Seems there were two PSP clones as well.
Just checked Vektar, not what I was thinking. Perhaps there is a PC clone I played, seems more reasonable.

As well as vektar (BTW: full version is now available for free)
there is garden2x and Noiz2sa which are might similar. Very pretty and clever programming but I don't seem to survive very long playing them.

EDIT: How rude of me. I like the look of this game. The background looks like liquid velvet does it ripple? Please say yes or lock yourself up in your bedroom until you can. :)

may88 said:
As well as vektar (BTW: full version is now available for free)
there is garden2x and Noiz2sa which are might similar. Very pretty and clever programming but I don't seem to survive very long playing them.

EDIT: How rude of me. I like the look of this game. The background looks like liquid velvet does it ripple? Please say yes or lock yourself up in your bedroom until you can. :)

Garden of Coloured Lights is really good, but i don't think it's very similar to gridwars.
Oh, and Chaotic Vortex looks like it could be really nice, any updates?

Hi!

I'm getting ready to start launching WorkInProgress releases, so that I can get play testing for the game, which its really starting to need now, and hopefully get some feedback to improve it. Thanks for the replies so far!

Cheers

S-r-ex said:
So this is a bullet hell, like the Touhou series, or something?

More like enemy hell, I'd say ;) Always found bullet hell games to get on my nerves somehow.

Hi!

Just some status update: I think maybe next week I'll have the first WIP version for you to test B)
Also I decided the game will be free with optional add-ons. These will weapon and level packs and such.

Cheers!

Left some comments on your site, but the "freemium" model sounds decent. Free to play, pay for more. Never quite been a fan of the timed or short-version demo models.

Ah, Sorry, didn't realize one was already being worked on and was being released...

Hi there!

Phew...it's been some time, huh? ;)
Well, just bringing this thread from the dead to let you know I'm still working on the game, though the PC and Pandora versions will be actually two different games. The Pandora version will still be a dual stick shooter, the PC version is now played with the mouse, and turns it into an enemy avoidance shooter...or something...

Anyway, new video of the PC version and screenshots are up on my blog, check it out:

http://www.kiritsugames.com/chaoticvortex/

I'll release the PC alpha version very soon. And I need to get a Pandora ASAP!!!

Wow, that video looks absolutely fantastic, really great effects.

Also gameplay seems very suited for the Pandora.

Keep it up!

Thanks for the comments! I'm really curious to see how this will run on the Pandora. I hope she'll have enough juice for GL games. I just do some alpha blending and particles so it should run fine.

Back