Charging issues

igboo

My pre-order Pandora arrived in the beginning of January and it's a thing of electronic beauty. I like it so much that I ordered a premium Pandora to help support OP and, hopefully, keep them turning out these little wonders.

My first one is just about perfect. The second one has it's quirks. Nothing I can't live with except for one issue.

On my first unit, when the charger is plugged in, the charging light comes on and stays on until the charger is removed. On the second unit however, the charging light goes off after two or three hours. Then the unit runs down the battery in sleep mode until the unit shuts itself off. It's as if the unit suddenly forgets that the charger is connected. If I disconnect from the charger and reconnect, the same cycle repeats.

I've used the same charger for both units, so I know the charger is good. I've even dug out my PSP charger and tried that to no avail. I've also tried comparing the battery temps between the two units thinking that maybe the second unit is overheating the battery and shutting off the charge. There's no noticable difference in temperature.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

igboo

A couple of things to try that could narrow down the likely cause of the problem :

Try swapping the battery from the Pandora which does not charge correctly to the Pandora that does charge correctly, if that prevents the Pandora from charging correctly then it is a battery issue.

Try charging over USB (Using the OTG port), report back with results of these tests and one of the hardware gurus might be able to shed a little more light on your problem.

I'm gonna have to buy a USB cable with the micro B end on it. I would have thought I would find one in my 5 gallon storage tub of random cables, but no.

I'll give the batteries a swap when I get home tonight and try that out.

Thanks for the ideas.

igboo

After finally getting the right USB cable, I charged the Pandora using OTG. The charge light comes on and stays on the entire time the OTG cable is plugged in. This is different from how the system acts when using the mains charger.

Swapping the batteries had no effect.

So, what do I do from this point? Is this something that should be RMA'd?

Back