Charlie Stross Mentions Pandora In His Blog

salasq

OpenPandora — the Linux Taliban, empowered by rapid prototyping, swarm development, and outsourced manufacturing, are developing the ultimate geek answer to the Nintendo DS, a positively Frankensteinian pocket computer and games console emulator. Remember, this thing is homebrewed by enthusiasts and is about fifty times as powerful as an old-time Cray X-MP.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-stati...eous_links.html

I stopped caring when the phrase "Linux Taliban" shows up. Seriously, wtf retarded comment is that? "swarm development"? Sounds ike he's a fan of buzzwords.

"outsourced manufacturing" -- like thats not the norm. (_Every_ single product is outsourced manufcaturing except by a few companies, right?)

Bah, maybe its a good article but that one paragraph is so full of 'noob' :)

jeff

skeezix said:
I stopped caring when the phrase "Linux Taliban" shows up. Seriously, wtf retarded comment is that? "swarm development"? Sounds ike he's a fan of buzzwords.

"outsourced manufacturing" -- like thats not the norm. (_Every_ single product is outsourced manufcaturing except by a few companies, right?)

jeff

Haha there is no article that is the whole thing

Last edited by a moderator:
lulzfish said:
"about fifty times as powerful as an old-time Cray X-MP"

Truly a descriptive measure of computing power if ever I heard one.
50 times more powerful? Should be easy to emulate...

:)

skeezix said:

Maybe I should've included the post's title, 'Patterns defining the near future' in original post;)

Knowing Taliban's history and it's rise from grassroots operation to big player, I don't think the comparison is that unbecoming. As for the buzzwords, he's prolly just pointing out how - like so often in the past - combining existing methods and technologies in new, uncommon ways can lead to Good Things.

PS Anyone who can write SF the technical aspects of which don't piss off every single reader with IT knowledge (up yours, Dan Brown) can't, by law, be called a noob. He's heard of Cray X-MP, fer chrissakes, and I doubt it's only for the cameo in Jurassic Park;)

salasq said:
PS Anyone who can write SF the technical aspects of which don't piss off every single reader with IT knowledge (up yours, Dan Brown) can't, by law, be called a noob. He's heard of Cray X-MP, fer chrissakes, and I doubt it's only for the cameo in Jurassic Park;)
Not only have I heard of a Cray X-MP, I have sat on one!

Well, when we finally get our hands on our Pandoras we might shout Allahu Akbar. Except probably more in english, so "god is great". Except probably something more like "OMFG YES"... But it's close, right. Right? :huh:

Eniko said:
Well, when we finally get our hands on our Pandoras we might shout Allahu Akbar. Except probably more in english, so "god is great". Except probably something more like "OMFG YES"... But it's close, right. Right? :huh:
The last one... definitely that last one...

The fact that the Pandora has bubbled up through general awareness enough for Charlie Stross to post about it is fantastic. The fact the Mr Stross is a well respected and IMNSHO a brilliant SciFi writer doesn't hurt either.

Nice one! :)

-(e)

Back