Chatboard For 1 Player.

Dozer

Efram the retarded rabbit
Website
lawrencewithaw.tumblr.com
Just had a quick idea.

It should be possible to play 2player games with 1 person using hte chatboard and another on the controls.

It might be slightly awkward for the person on the chatboard but maybe an idea?

Any thoughts?

wot if u made a game with a split screen, but one of the screens was uopside down

where on person using the controls would use the bottom/right way up screen

and the chatboard would be led up to the top of the GP32, so that player would be able to see the top screen, whihc h is ipside down, right way up

but wait, i hear u cry, how can we understand this brilliant idea without an illustration

well POW!!!

31b2c93a.gif

Attachments

• 31b2c93a.gif
    31b2c93a.gif
    14 KB · Views: 104
  • 31b2c93a.gif
    31b2c93a.gif
    14 KB · Views: 107
  • 31b2c93a.gif
    31b2c93a.gif
    14 KB · Views: 105
Nice idea, though pretty much unworkable. The chatboard only gives a keypress when the key is released, it doesn't say if the key is pressed constantly. (Example: say I wanted to move my character left, and I was used the WASD keys, I'd have to press and release the A key to move it one space to the left, then press and release again, and again, and again, whilst the guy with the joystick could just press left, and keep moving left.)

Just think of the practicalities of 2 player on a tiny screen like the GP32 has though... It would have to be layed on the ground and both people stopping over it head to head (hope one doesn't have nits) will block all the light from it.

Lol, sorry Mark. Will be nice to see some devrs oppinions on it.

It's not practical at all, just an idea. I didn't know that button only registers after it is released though, that's it's major flaw I think.

Here's what I've written for GPMagazine3:

As mentioned, why not use the chatboard as an extra controller for VS. matches? While more complex controls may prove difficult on the tiny buttons, a simple space shooter using 'A' for left and 'W' for right with the 'Space' button for shooting shouldn't be a problem. A two player game of Snake could also prove to be fun.

Best of all, what about using it to control the second player in an emulator such as Little John? Two player Bomberman has never been so cheap. (In both monetary terms and the fact that the NES versions suck.)

Remember 'House of the Dead'? I bet you do, but do you remember 'Typing of the Dead'? In one of the odder game spin-off's the lightgun was stipped away and replaced by, ahem, words. You had to type these in as fast as you could to kill the zombies, which led to frantic and surprisingly genuis gameplay. (The best typing tutor bar none.)

Why not combine this with a real time action game, whether FPS or shooter? Player one uses the Stick to avoid the incoming enemies while Player two types the words that come up on screen to kill them.

The games that couldn't be possible with the 'board, for example, a crossword game would be great for a long bus journey, and with the chatboard and a GP32 you could carry an almost infinitite amount.

Maybe a clone of some Gameshows such as Countdown (A very British show) or Wheel of Fortune?

Finally, what about clones of board games like Scrabble, Boggle and Trivial Pursuit?

Take GPKat, add the 'board and what do you have (Apart from a future animal cruelty record) ? GPVoice of course!

Using a simular design to the 'speech' in 'Animal Crossing' (where each letter of the alphabet is recorded, and then speeded up to read whatever you type) you could tell everyone how much you hate them with the touch of a button.

Ideal for those that think swearing at the Television has an effect on the programmes.

Back