Chatboard & Gp32 Questions

Prophet

God I'm old.
Website
Visit site
How does the chatboard interface to the GP32? Do you need to hack a cable, or do you get a cable included that works with GP32?

Anyone have a photo of the GP32 attached to the chatboard?

Does someone have a list of GP32 emulators with chatboard support?

If you own one, does it make a significant difference in your opinion? Worth buying?

Thanks.

How does the chatboard interface to the GP32? Do you need to hack a cable, or do you get a cable included that works with GP32?

Anyone have a photo of the GP32 attached to the chatboard?

Lastly, does someone have a list of GP32 emulators with chatboard support?

Thanks.

The chatboard goes into the extension slot. You do need to modify it unless you purchase an already modified one.

Here is a picture of a chatboard attached to the Gp32.
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jikorhon/condev/gp32/kb.jpg

Here is a current list of most programs that use the chatboard
GpQuake
Sarien
Bobtron
Castaway
Speccyal K
Atari 800 v0.5
Kronos
Gplinux
Edgepad
Frotz
GpFrodo

Upcoming ones
Windups
Yafl
Doom
Pituka

www.gp32z.com

Last edited by a moderator:
:D The mouse in the pic looks cool :D

edit: hey Prophet That FLU review in your sig is really good! Nice Job!

edit again: srry about the double post.. ;) I think I hit quote instead of edit... :blink:

wow i didnt know doom was planning on having having chatboard support,, well i may get one now cause there are a few apps n emus tht can use it,, any1 know where is best(cheapest) place cause if i remeber right steve-o ran out

Thanks tekt5. That review is really old now. At the time I saw the GP32 wasn't getting enough attention so I wanted to help change that.

Then along came the Zodiac and figured the GP32 was dead.

I was wrong.

I miss the GP32 a lot, and not only is the dev scene more active, but ironically I still like some of the GP32 games better than the Zodiac games. I bought Duke Nukem for Zodiac for example, and it was a big disappointment - Her Knights is a much better game (totally different genre of course). And the free Doom port on GP32 is actually BETTER than the Zodiac version which you have to pay for.

And sadly, while the Zodiac has the superior control layout (SNES basically) the GP32's digital stick is more accurate for emus and most games, and the GP32 buttons were more comfortable.

I might post a small BLU review, along with a Zodiac comparison in the near future.

I'm NOT going anti-Zodiac, I'm not anti any system. If you really want a PDA that plays games well, the Zodiac is fantastic, and the build quality if superior to anything I've seen (meaning the screen, metal case etc.). But the GP32 has an amazing dev scene, amazing selection of emus, and now with the BLU model, it finally has a screen to match.

Back to the chatboard... Not sure I want one yet. Maybe in the future, might be nice for the computer emus. I love Atari 800. :)

I would say you might want to get one. More and more programs are coming out with chatboard support and you save on shipping costs if you purchase at same time.

www.gp32z.com

Prophet: Here is another shot of a chatboard connected to the GP32 (mine) so that you can imagine it more precisely (this one nested in the original case):

GP32 with a chatboard

The response of the keys is quite slow and you cannot press two keys at the same time, which makes it almost useless for action games. On the other hand, it makes playing text adventures much easier.
By the way, I dont think Sarien works with chatboards, I tested the chatboard code with Per Sterner when he was implementing it into his Sarien port but it never tuned out to work, afaik.

Back