Chromium changing extensions from .pnd to .bin

Carlos FL

I thought I would write it here, in case someone else gets frustrated as I did and looks for a hints on what's going on.

I started downloading my first programs for my new OpenPandora from http://repo.openpandora.org/, using Chromium on my Linux PC. I saved them into folders pandora/apps, pandora/menu, etc, as instructed in the Wiki User Manual, using the name that Chromium suggested. After a while I noticed that all files where being saved with the extension .bin, instead of .pnd that is mentioned in the manual and everywhere. I got puzzled and looked for a  hint, if I should unpack the .bin files or something else and found nothing, no reference to .bin's at all. I got suspicious and then I opened the Repository with Firefox and confirmed that the files all had .pnd extension originally. Chromium must have decided that the extension .pnd was not good and "helpfully" decided to change it without any warning. I also cannot find any setting that controls this behaviour either.

Fortunately my frustration did not last long. I renamed all files and the programs worked flawlessly in my Pandy. I'm overjoyed.

Have you tried PNDmanager yet? I've found it to much better than  the repo's html interface :)

While PNDManager will certainly fix the OP's issues, I wouldn't recommend it - the wireless frequently drops out on the Pandora if you don't have the right router which can cause problems especially when updating larger PNDs - the larger the file, the more likely the connection will drop and PNDManager will refuse to update the file further. There's also bugs that can corrupt PNDs if you don't update when you initially run PNDManager with the START button - I didn't do that once (because it takes so bloody long to update) and had all sorts of problems with unfinished downloads.

D.

@ ZXDunny: i son't have those peoblems with PND Manager.

But really, why ranting in random threat instead of reporting issues in the PNDManager thread so they can be fixed?

Last edited by a moderator:
While PNDManager will certainly fix the OP's issues, I wouldn't recommend it - the wireless frequently drops out on the Pandora if you don't have the right router which can cause problems especially when updating larger PNDs - the larger the file, the more likely the connection will drop and PNDManager will refuse to update the file further. There's also bugs that can corrupt PNDs if you don't update when you initially run PNDManager with the START button - I didn't do that once (because it takes so bloody long to update) and had all sorts of problems with unfinished downloads.

D.
This is subjective.

I've found my pandora's wifi to be very perfectly effective and stable when connected to my access point.

I've never had significant issues with cutouts or corruption using PNDmanager

@carlos - try using PNDmanager for a while; you might be lucky :)

@ ZXDunny: i son't have those peoblems with PND Manager.

But really, why ranting in random threat instead of reporting issues in the PNDManager thread so they can be fixed?
Because I'm lazy, and I've not seen a PND Manager thread pop up when I click "View New Content" :)

D.

Yes, PND Manager was among those first programs I was downloading. As I said, this was my first batch of programs after waking up and charging my Pandora.

My point was just to record this weird (and annoying) behaviour of Chromium here for any future newcomer. I am fine in my marry way exploring this wonderful machine. Can't get enough of it.

Back