Cinnamon as the official desktop?

Yup, the desktop has stayed mostly the same with most of the changed parts belowdecks. The big changes have been a full remodeling of KDE Frameworks and porting to Qt5. Many of the discussed advantages actually come from using Qt5/QML2. There definitely are changes to the desktop, but it's nothing like 3->4.

Wow, didn't expect to see this thread still going.  I've tried XFCE on my desktop, and it just never seems 'finished' to me.  I think I'm biased towards Cinnamon because I use Linux Mint on my desktop and I never really liked Mate since it was like going back in time.

I have a pretty anemic system as the system I use the most, a fitpc3 (got it before the mint edition came out sadly) and Cinnamon runs fine.  I know there is a huge power difference between ARM and x86 though.

I remember before the Pandora was finished I was asking about KDE 4 and that wasn't even done yet.  I don't like XFCE on my Pandora though, I think I could survive it if the screen resolution was higher, like the Pyra will be, but when I plug it into a monitor(HDMI out, yay!) and have a mouse/keyboard plugged in I'll want something more substantial.  If the Pyra isn't powerful enough I will use XFCE though, I don't hate it by any means.

Back