City Connection

speedmike

I'm gonna turn it back and run it again
Website
www.zanman.com
In 1985 Jaleco came out with an awesome arcade game called City Connection, and in 1988 they did everyone a favor and released the game on the NES.

The NES version had all the excitement and adventure of the arcade verson but with slightly worse graphics.

city1.gif

OK on with the review...

Overview

City Connection is a platform game where you drive a little red sports car with a huge spoiler on the back, with much debate my friends and I have decided on it either being an old Civic Hatchback or a Ford Festiva (probably some Japanese compact car that I don't know about). The point of the game is to run over all of the clear blocks to turn them white and thus advancing to the next level!

The Car

This Car is probably the coolest car in the world! It can stop and turn on a dime. It can also jump in the air. If one turns and jumps the car at the same time it does a C shaped jump that comes in handy when going from level to level.The car's only defense is 55 gallon oil drums that it picks up while driving. The drums can then be shot at the police cars that are all over in the levels. Once you shoot a police car, you can then bump it without dieing.
city3.gif

The Villians

Police cars - The type of police car depends on what city you are in. For example, New York has cars while London has vans.

city4.gif

Metal Spikes - The spikes sometimes pop out of nowhere and are immune to barrels of oil. So, jump them or turn around!

Cats! - The cats become the most hated thing of the game! The cats show up at random and have little flags. I didn't know cats could hold flags but they can! Anyways... Cats like spikes are immune to barrels so jump them or turn around before hitting them. Even though you die when you hit a cat, these is a certain satisfaction seeing the pot bellied fur ball fly across the screen!

city5.gif

Spikes and Cats often turn up if you are going over a certain area too often!

Police cars can sometimes come from the opposite direction then expected so watch out!

Good Things

Barrels of Oil - Barrels of oil get you points in two ways: at the end of the round barrels are x 1000 points, or you can shoot them at cops and then bump them for 5000 points a pop (I think). Barrels are your only defense against cop cars.

Red Ballons - These seriously rule! Collect three ballons and you warp to a new city!

The Levels

New York
London
Paris
Swiss Mountain Level - best as I can describe it.
Asian Level
The Taj Mahal

city2.gif

New York NES Version

city6.gif

New York Arcade Version

I really enjoy this game and I hope you do too!

I remember playing this on PocketNES a while back and it's kinda enjoyable to play once in a while. Glad to see somebody review this title :).

I hated those damn cats, I mean the way that they are stupidly standing there and you lose a life by running over them, that part was kinda retarded. I do agree that I loved running over the damn things and watching them fly 100 ft into the air and fall to their death, or something like that (haven't played this game in a while).

I kinda like the NES version's graphics, though worse than the arcade's. It gives sort of that feel some oldish games have about something futuristic or a virtual reality game within a game.

I played this game in the arcade years ago and fell in love with it and it's simple musical theme. The day I saw an ad for it's american release on NES was one of the happiest days of my life.

Once I'd stopped using the NES and discovered I could have all my old games again on my compter thanks to Roms the thrill returned as great as when I first played it. This game music reminds me of Dig Dug probably because of the catchy tune that never gets old.

Fun fact: One early discription of the game (in Nintendo power I think) offered the story as being that you, a theif, had stolen expensive art, including cans of paint which were slowly leaking thus leaving a trail and explaining the covering road aspect.

YES, I was trying very hard to figure out an actual plot to it. Man I just got the MSX version of this game on the gp32 and its not even close to being as good as the nes one.

Cool, I played that game on Microgenius (some cheapass famicom clone) when I was younger... it was on one of those 10^100000000000000000000000000000000000-in-One cartridges.. NEAT! :D

Never knew what game this was, now I know, thank you :)
It rocks really hard.

Back