Classic XBox DVD Drive Won't Read Games - HELP!

Isn't it absurd how many people are buying consoles only to use them in ways not intended and which the proprietary hardware loving companies are even actively trying to prevent?
It's a bit like buying a trike with making a two-wheeled motorcycle out of it in mind.

I just fitted a mod chip to my Crystal Limited edition 1.4 Xbox last week. Stuck a 160gb drive and a Samsung drive.

Had to do an LPC rebuild and everything. Suprisingly easy (given my crappy soldering skills), the hardest part was the D0 wire soldering and even that only took three or four goes to get it to stick.

Which chip did you use?

SmartXX Lt OPX - bought it 10 years ago and just found it during a clean up.

you can try scouring chinese websites like alibaba and the likes. they might still have modchips in stock somewhere, so maybe you'll get lucky. they should be pretty cheap by now as almost noone requires a modchip anymore since we know about the different softmod options.

I have found a couple of places that have modchips but not one that allows the DVD drive to be replace with a generic drive.

And all of the people I contacted said that you need the drive working to rip games to the hard drive.

Exactly. You can replace the original drive with a pc drive at any time, but it will only read burned dvds and no originals as I said.

The only option would be getting a flashable drive, but these are super rare (even back when the first xbox was released). those can be flashed to read originals.

the modchip really has no influence on this, you could replace the dvd drive of the xbox without a modchip but it won't read any dvds then.

My advice: softmod, replace hdd with a large one, screw original dvds and use them as coasters, upload dvd images to the hdd, profit and forget you ever had to use optical media...

Back