ClearSearch...

GP32 Kirby

Website
Visit site
I'm trying to access a page which my friends can view, but I cannot. Instead, I am being re-directed to a stupid auto-search page "powered by ClearSearch", so i figure some annoying program or something's self-installed into my computer, as I browsed around my program files folder to discover a "ClearSearch" program folder floating about. I am trying to uninstall it but there's no uninstaller, and trying to uninstall it from the control pannel remove software option doesnt work either (it doesnt show up in the list).

I am using windows XP if that's any help. Please help me remove this fast!! :(

It's a virus. Check your local hosts file. I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Check Symantec's website if you can reach it.
It's not a virus, I just scanned the program files with AVG..

anyways, I disabled the third-party software but i cannot access my page anyway because of a DNS Error.. what does this mean and how can I solve it??

Last edited by a moderator:
Well now that I'm speaking from college it's gonna have to wait 'til later when I get home... before then though, could someone help me on the DNS error subject? :unsure:

A DNS (Domain Name Server) is a service, which translates URLs into the corresponding networking address.

(i.e. http://www.google.com translates to http://216.239.59.99/)
You can also enter the number to reach google.
(this doesn't work with all sites, as nowadays a lot of sites are hosted on ONE server. If you enter the IP address, you'll connect to the server where the site is hosted on)

This has been done to make surfing the internet easier... you don't want to type numbers to find your site, do you?

A DNS error means, that the DNS server could not be found.
There are quite a few possibilities:

- the DNS server is down
- you misconfigured your network configuration (especially check that out if you're behind a proxy or firewall!)

In your case I can also imagine that ClearSearch doesn't connect to your DNS server correctly (as everything you enter in your browser works via ClearSearch).

If THIS is the case, get yourself another browser (not IE or Netscape, I'd recommend opera, which can be easily found on some magazine CDs), go to the site I mentioned above and follow the steps to remove ClearSearch.

I would suggest Mozilla Firebird.

By the way, you don't need to have Ad-aware to destroy these things. They are Browser Helper Objects, as much as that they 'help' you to see more advertising. Grab 'BHO Cop' and it'll pop up a list of all objects installed - you may have some legit ones, in my case I have Acrobat and the Google Toolbar - and the others can go bye-bye with one click.

I've been able to gain access to the site now that I installed opera to my computer. But I cant seem to visit a certain forum now because there is a "network" error. I dunno if it is down or what but I certainly cant access it. Check it and confirm for me. http://sonnexh.com/forums/ (note - no "www." needs to be at the start of the url)

EDIT: Nevermind.. I finally have access to it :blink:

Back