Clock Speed

whiskthecat

whiskthecat
Website
pigliver.blogsite.org
SO I was just wondering what clock speeds you guys use.

For games i usually just leave it at 200mhz

But, on music i can play at 66mhz (with a little skipping) I have tried 33mhz but the 2x refuses to operate at that speed. I was just wondering what evr1 else uses.

Music I play at 70-80MHz with screen off. I never overclock unless I'm trying to get my own ports of programs to work.

my 2x doesnt like clock changes a whole lot, i ususally underclock to about 125 unless im playing games, any lower than that it gets unstable, sometimes clocking lower than 150 causes it to crash, i never overclock more than 266-270, almost never overlcock at all really

I leave it at 200 for most stuff, and whack it up to 250/266 for mame.

My gp2x will crash at 280, don't know about 266-280 range, I've not really tested.

For me I over clock to 266 playing Dr. MD to get the full 60fps, so far it’s never crashed on me ever, so I enjoy My Sonic and Gunstar Heroes at 60fps all the time. :D Quake works every now and then at 280 MHz for a great performance boost, but it tends to crash after a few minutes so I play at 266, which is a bit more reliable but still crashes every now and then, but that’s what Saves are for. :)

Mame and DRMDx get wacked up to 285MHz, and the PC Engine emu gets put to 200MHz. Did anyone else notice that in the PC Engine emu when you change the clockspeed the green background changes shade? Looks brighter at 200MHz than 160Mhz.

edit: Grammar

Duke3D seemed to run fairly well at 133mhz. It was a little jerky in places but nothing major. Around 150mhz looked about perfect to me but I didn't play for long.

When I underclocked mine under 150 the gp2x became unstable. The screen begins to blink and flutter and loading screens takes a lot longer. I have never tried to over clock it yet, DrMD runs at about 60 FPS for almost all games at the standard clock speed.

200 for most games/emulators I haven't taken the time to test different clocks, 166 for tilematch and drmdx, 133 for picture viewing, and 66 for ebooks.

Actually does anyone elses screen blink like that when underclocked? And if so, is it safe to run it like this? I would like to have it underclocked when listening to my audio books because I want to save on battery power but not sure. Any ideas? Thank you.

Actually does anyone elses screen blink like that when underclocked? And if so, is it safe to run it like this? I would like to have it underclocked when listening to my audio books because I want to save on battery power but not sure. Any ideas? Thank you.
The screen refresh rate is linked to the same PLL that the core clock uses, You slow down the CPU speed, the screen slows down too. Also you could be slowing down the memory refresh (can't remember if that's on the same PLL or not), if so you could get memory corruption if it's too slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
So based off of what you said.. I tried the UPLL instead of the FPLL and the UPLL lowered the clock speed but didn't effect the screen. Would using this effect the memory like what was mentioned above?

You can have the LCD screen use FPLL or UPLL for it's clock source. FPLL, according to whiskthecat, will give the screen a clock source that is independent of the CPU's source, so changes to the CPU clock speed will not affect the look of the display, if FPLL is chosen as the clock source for the LCD.

When you Overclock does this affect both cores or just the Main processor?

How many of the emu's are actually using the 2nd processor so far?

Is there actually seperate hardware for video or is it all rendered in software via the 2nd processor?

:blink:

These are questions I haven't been able to find answers to yet and I'm damn curious!!

Answers on a postcard

:D

266 in gp2xengine but tha's set by the emu

I have never "underclocked" guess it's good for battery life.

If I clock it up it's usally 275/280 without issue.

news, my 2x underclocks fine to 99mhz but between 120-125mhz its crashy and unstable

80 for mp3s
200 for movies
200 for drmd [most games run at 60fps with this...]

300 for squidge snes :p
266 for bor +mp3s with madplay.

I cant do any of this till I get a working sd card.. *sigh*

and the lcd tweaker has some wierd kind of bug. When selecting a speed or timing wait about 5secs or so untill you press select. If you dont, then it will most likely freeze for some odd reason. ;)

Back