Clrmame How To Convert Rom Sets

peelie

hi

can anyone help me by posting a step by step of how to convert a rom into the version needed to work on the new mame emulator using CLRMamePro?

thanks!

1. create two folders, 'oldroms' and 'newroms', and place your old roms in 'oldroms'
2. place clrmame.dat from Mame2All somewhere in your computer.
3. Run ClrMamePro
4. "Add Datfile", the clrmame.dat from step 2.
5. Load. Say "Default"
6. Rebuilder. Source="oldroms" To="newroms". I prefer non-merged sets, but it's up to you. Rebuild.
7. Prepare a cup of tea
8. Add milk, sugar or honey
9. Hey, that seems finished.
10. Copy files in newroms to the SD and enjoy.

I think this information is so clearly and concisely laid out that a mod should consider pinning this thread to help any others who will very likely ask this same question in the near future.

juanvvc said:
1. create two folders, 'oldroms' and 'newroms', and place your old roms in 'oldroms'
2. place clrmame.dat from Mame2All somewhere in your computer.
3. Run ClrMamePro
4. "Add Datfile", the clrmame.dat from step 2.
5. Load. Say "Default"
6. Rebuilder. Source="oldroms" To="newroms". I prefer non-merged sets, but it's up to you. Rebuild.
7. Prepare a cup of tea
8. Add milk, sugar or honey
9. Hey, that seems finished.
10. Copy files in newroms to the SD and enjoy.
Additionally, if you have a newer romset than, oh, say 0.80-something, you may need the appropriate rollback set for your version (AddPaths is a good place to set the path to the rollback set) or you WILL end up with a lot of incomplete sets in the 'newroms' folder. Just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the concise instructions, they worked great. However, the same instructions do not seem to apply to samples, most samples that worked with 5.1 no longer work in M4A 1.0. Any suggestions?

Also add that this wont give you a completely perfect set of working roms either. Not unless you use the right ones to rebuild them with. Which for 37b5 I have yet to find. For example if you use .123 roms you will get a ton of messed up roms. I couldn't even get much out of a set of .34 roms that I have. Granted it isn't a complete set either. Good luck and if you get a complete set do tell what you used to build it.

I don't want to hijack your post but below is what manjuu told me. He has been helping me to understand all this rom crazyness. I thought it would help you, and if you didn't see my post that is up you wouldn't have seen it. So basicly if you want complete sets you need rollback rom sets as well as the normal usable romsets from before the version you want to build to build a proper complete set. So if you have a set of .34 roms and want to rebuild to .37b5 then you need the complete .34 set as well as any rollback romsets from between.34 and .37b5. You need the roll back sets because they contain files that were removed from the usable romsets. I hope it helps. It saved me alot of trouble. lol I am sticking with my .34 version lol...

prplehz said:

So are rollback roms differnt than others. As in do they contain more files specialy for rebuilding sets? And if so do I have to get a 37b5 set to rebuild that? Or will any rollback set work?
manjuu said:
Rollback sets are just sets containing ROM files that are no longer used in the later versions. They would fill up the missing files that you would lack when rebuilding sets to a different version.
To use them, I think you would need the entire rollback from all the previous versions (your current version is the starting point) up to your target older version. Make sure ClrMame Pro use both your current sets and the rollback sets as the sources when rebuilding. That should probably give you a complete set for that version.

Hey.. ok those instructions are easy enough to run through.. I have a dvd set MAME103.. guess thats the version of mame/roms? can I use that step by step process on these roms??

5 minutes gone! 2% man :(

Stainy said:
Hey.. ok those instructions are easy enough to run through.. I have a dvd set MAME103.. guess thats the version of mame/roms? can I use that step by step process on these roms??

5 minutes gone! 2% man :(

You might get a few, but with out rollback roms from every previous set you wont get much.

Back