Cmus Tip

chris_c

I've previously always just used cmus (console music player) with the lid closed and been quite happy with the power usage

What I didn't try was running it in low power mode (slide the power switch momentary to the right)

Turns out its frugal enough to play just fine.... nice.... should be good for nearly a day of music....

Read the thread wrong, it was not was I was expecting. At all.

Carry on!

chris_c said:
I've previously always just used cmus (console music player) with the lid closed and been quite happy with the power usage

What I didn't try was running it in low power mode (slide the power switch momentary to the right)

Turns out its frugal enough to play just fine.... nice.... should be good for nearly a day of music....

Hah! This is the media player I was hoping existed for the Pandora!

Here's hoping it's easier to set up than mpd. Never liked hassling with that thing...

Last edited by a moderator:
OilySalmon said:
chris_c said:

Hah! This is the media player I was hoping existed for the Pandora!

Here's hoping it's easier to set up than mpd. Never liked hassling with that thing...
if you take the trouble to take a very quick squint at the doc, its very easy to use, I even bound right shoulder to next track... "standby" (low power) mode used to be silly slow, its nice its enough to run cmus now and by my calculations it nearly doubles the battery life while using cmus (in region of 20hrs...!)

Does my installer actually work (missing any libraries)? Nobody moaned about it to me yet, so I'll assume it does :)

This one:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,6,251

otherguy66 said:
Does my installer actually work (missing any libraries)? Nobody moaned about it to me yet, so I'll assume it does :)

This one:

You should really pnd it up. Instead of installing it to the system.

mcobit said:
otherguy66 said:

This one:

You should really pnd it up. Instead of installing it to the system.

Fair enough. Skeezix says I need to recompile it with the paths changed or something, then it'll work as a PND application? At least I think that's what he said. :huh:

Yes, you need to configure it with --prefix=/mnt/utmp/cmus

The thing about a shell application though, is that you'd have to hard-link it to a particular terminal when launching. You don't get the choice... is there a way around this yet?

I don't know of a choice right now...
Of course you can simply call it with xterm.

mcobit said:
I don't know of a choice right now...
Of course you can simply call it with xterm.

Hmmm. The other nice thing about installing shell applications is that you can run them without X. Sometimes I like to drop out of XFCE and do this...

...but yeah, there should be a PND version too :)

Back