Comic Reader For The Pandora

dokcipher

Still Fresh
So! I love comics, ive got a collection of like 30 gigs and i even have a comic reader on my phone, so im wondering if the pandora will have something similar to this: comic reader

dokcipher said:
So! I love comics, ive got a collection of like 30 gigs and i even have a comic reader on my phone, so im wondering if the pandora will have something similar to this: comic reader

I would buy that....

Last edited by a moderator:
http://comix.sourceforge.net/

Comix is a nice viewer. It may not be too much trouble to port.

Evince (the document viewer) is in the Ångström repos, and it supports CBR and CBZ archives as well. As for .rar and .zip files, rename them .cbr and .cbz respectively as those are just rar/zip archives. You'll need to install unzip and likely also the non-free (it's cost free, there's just no source) unrar and Evince should pick up the file associations itself.

Lunatic said:

It's just python with a few dependency. Shouldn't be much of a problem I guess. I might give it a try when I finally get my Pandora.

I am not sure the collection feature of comix will be able to take 30GB of comics and perform well enough to be useful on a Pandora though. I remember it was quite resource hungry. (it's possible that things have changed though).

hobbyman II said:
is there an arm version of unrar? or is it written in some interpreted language like ruby?
Actually it seems I was wrong. UnRAR is available source and all.
I still maintain you might as well use Evince as your comic viewer since it supports all these archive types and works incredibly well. That and it doesn't need porting.

cos it may not be possible to get a mobile device online where you are, it may be somewhere that doesn't have internet connections of any sort.

marshal said:
Lunatic said:

It's just python with a few dependency. Shouldn't be much of a problem I guess. I might give it a try when I finally get my Pandora.

I am not sure the collection feature of comix will be able to take 30GB of comics and perform well enough to be useful on a Pandora though. I remember it was quite resource hungry. (it's possible that things have changed though).

id just heave a couple of series on it at a time, no more than a couple gigs at most.

What format are most "e-comics" are in? Cause everyone I have gotten online are in CBR.

I was not asking if it supported CBR I was asking is it common for most E Comics to be in CBR?

TylerAW said:
I was not asking if it supported CBR I was asking is it common for most E Comics to be in CBR?

Yes, or (less commonly) .CBZ

The reason is simple - comics usually consist of a lot of scans, individual images of each page, as you'd expect. As files are allocated a rounded-up multiple of whatever the cluster size of your HDD is (usually 4KB, sometimes more in older computers) then there's a lot of dead space at the end of each file when you add it all up over a couple of hundred (or thousand) pages. Moving all the images into one container file minimises this dead space to less than that cluster size. Add to that the compression achieved - which won't be much on images - and you save a fair bit of space. Also makes it easier and quicker to move them around from machine to machine.

PDFs are common also, but they tend to be awkward to read as most PDF viewers are not set up for comics.

D.

Most comics I see are just in straight RAR/ZIP files, but you can "convert" them by changing the file extension if you want.
(CBR/Z is just an archive of numbered image files)

And as much as I like Evince as a PDF reader, it requires too much fiddling to set it up nicely for comics, and still misses some features, and then I have to change it back again for docs.

Ha, I didn't know .cbr were .rar files and .cbz were .zip files. When I first started reading comics on my computer I looked and looked and no one seemed to know how to unzip them. Just rename them and unzip(rar) I guess. This is good to know.

The Pandora screen is a little small for comic reading for me though, I might not use it that much myself.

Back