comics on the wiz

klikklak

Oh neat, it's a ... field.
Website
Visit site
I think I'll repost this on gp32x once it's up again:

Has anyone with a wiz tried reading comics on it? .. what's it like? .. I found a nokia 770 to be too small to be readable, but I had numerous problems with it. I later bought a sony prs500 for this and while it was good for manga, I didn't get to try 2000ad on it.

So my point, is it usable at all? what's it like to move around a page? Does it support cbz/cbr? And are the speech balloons readable?

That's a real pity. Could you try the comics after unpacking them (cbr is rar and cbz zip, just regular unpacking)? That way we could find out about moving within an image, what size is readable and if it supports bookmarks?

Well, the files were an issue of nintendo power and a hugo pratt comic, I think both are a4ish in printed form (ok, never seen a nintendo power). Of course if you can try out several filetypes, it would be brilliant.

klikklak said:
I think I'll repost this on gp32x once it's up again:

Has anyone with a wiz tried reading comics on it? .. what's it like? .. I found a nokia 770 to be too small to be readable, but I had numerous problems with it. I later bought a sony prs500 for this and while it was good for manga, I didn't get to try 2000ad on it.

So my point, is it usable at all? what's it like to move around a page? Does it support cbz/cbr? And are the speech balloons readable?

I don't think you are going to be happy with the Wiz or the Pandora to read comics with. I would assume you would want a bigger screen to really enjoy and be able to easily read them. Maybe the acer net book (which is only 299). That has a much bigger screen, but it is still very, very small and light. it also runs XP so you can have your choice in software. I've also heard that OS X works on it as well.

peter: cbz and cbr files were tested by rx_shorty. As for the images inside, I don't know, probably jpg. I'll check if you think it's important.

christo930: yeah, you're probably right. I think I'll get a prs-505 at some point specifically for this (and a few books), but I was hoping that if it'd be ok'ish I'd be able to delay that purchase until 9" e-ink devices are cheaper (q3 or so). I won't get a netbook, they're really clumsy on busrides and you can't bring it close enough to your eyes. Well maybe a swivel/tablet one, maybe.

I love my Sony PRS-505. The open source tools for file conversion are great. Actually, I mainly just use one now, Calibre. You could also check out the Kindle Dx. As long as you are reading black and white content, these devices will be far superior.

Yeah, I had a prs500 couple years ago and it was wonderful for manga. I've read berserk on a monitor, but for more boring stuff (fex. I read two hundred or so chapters of bleach on the prs500) you really need proper device. I'm just having trouble justifying throwing a lot of money on both a wiz and a prs505 especially during the summer when it would nice to you know 'go out and do stuff'.

The DPI on this screen is very high, I've read manga on my Archos 605 (same screen) and everything was perfectly readable with the image rotated right 90° so it showed the full page. Comics, with smaller text, couldn't be viewed this way.

klikklak said:
Yeah, I had a prs500 couple years ago and it was wonderful for manga. I've read berserk on a monitor, but for more boring stuff (fex. I read two hundred or so chapters of bleach on the prs500) you really need proper device. I'm just having trouble justifying throwing a lot of money on both a wiz and a prs505 especially during the summer when it would nice to you know 'go out and do stuff'.

For books I use a compaq pda and it works great for me. I bought mine for $20 at a flea market and when I dropped it, I got a replacement for $5.00 on Ebay (hp ipaq 3650). Good battery life, excellent screen and uses cheap CF cards ($12 for a 2gb card). It wouldn't work for comix, but for books, you can't wrong.

Back