Command for testing buttons

Michoko

Hi!

Just received today my brand new Pandora, and I'm now discovering this strange but beautiful beast. My "A" button, like other people in those forums, in not great though, and I'm not sure it is actually working. I had read, some time ago, that there was an app provided with the OS that allows to test buttons and keyboard (and which is used during building tests). Could someone remind me of the exact command to type into the shell please?

Thank you!

Frédéric

Oh, should'a mentioned, to test the nubs you need to put them in joystick mode first. In XFCE, bring up the menu, choose Settings, then Nubs to bring up the configuration program. In MiniMenu, hit the R trigger to move across the tabs until you see "Settings", and you can choose Nubs there.

Configure the left nub, change nub mode, use nub as joystick. Do the same for right nub. To reset them simply choose Restore default settings for both nubs in that same program.

I used the command to test my A button, and indeed it was stuck, leading to many strange behaviours in some emus frontend and games in general. After waiting for two years, I really didn't want to send my Pandora back, so I had no other solution than open the Pandora and scratch the extra plastic "stuff" under the A button myself. It was rather stressfull, because I didn't want to damage the console and make things even worse, but now things seem to be fine.

So an advice to all people with no experience at modding consoles: disassembling the Pandora without some kind of guide can be tricky. Oh, and don't try to turn the small black screws too tightly, you might get bad surprises...

The OP team should really spend a day or two dremelling all the A buttons, this can really be an annoying flaw. At best it gets squishy, and at worse it can be totally stuck, as that was in my case.

Does anyone have any before-and-after pics of this A-button issue? Apparently my Pandora will be arriving today or tomorrow (it is now at a local delivery facility). I might be tempted into doing this myself, not to mention pics and guide.

Well, I don't have pics right now, but simply try to visualize each button as some kind of cap that is put on a stick. So this cap is normally hollow, but for some reason, there is an extra bit of plastic inside the A button. So you have to dremel or simply scratch this bit of plastic to make the A button as hollow as the other ones. In other words you have to carve it a bit more. I don't know it that makes sense, but I hope you get the idea.

In fact the carving part is not a problem (despite the fact that the plastic is rather solid, this is not rubber). I was more afraid to losen the screen cable in a way or another, and damage my unit. So I was extremely cautious, and I'm not sure I'd enjoy doing it again. But now that I think of it, I'm sure you can separate the LCD cable from the base, and then work much more freely with the lower part of the console.

Well, I don't have pics right now, but simply try to visualize each button as some kind of cap that is put on a stick. So this cap is normally hollow, but for some reason, there is an extra bit of plastic inside the A button. So you have to dremel or simply scratch this bit of plastic to make the A button as hollow as the other ones. In other words you have to carve it a bit more. I don't know it that makes sense, but I hope you get the idea.

In fact the carving part is not a problem (despite the fact that the plastic is rather solid, this is not rubber). I was more afraid to losen the screen cable in a way or another, and damage my unit. So I was extremely cautious, and I'm not sure I'd enjoy doing it again. But now that I think of it, I'm sure you can separate the LCD cable from the base, and then work much more freely with the lower part of the console.

Disassembling the Pandora sounds a lot like disassembling the DSL.

The issue only effects about 1 or 2 in 100 buttons. And there are 4 buttons on each Pandora.

If you do the nightmarish maths here you will see why it isn't as simple as just sitting and checking them all...

Oh I don't say it is simple or anything. But I suppose that having a stuck button is not in your quality standards either... :) So there must be a solution, other than asking the customers to do the job themselves (especially since the status about opening the Pandora and voiding the warranty is still unclear, at least to me).

Anyway, good job on the Pandora, I love it now! :)

The spongy "A" button was the only real defect that I had originally and it bothered me, so I fixed it. I wondered what the inside of the Pandora looked like anyways, so I decided to see if I could fix it. It is an easy fix, and I agree with both sides of the argument here, but in reality I don't know what the current amount of effected units are currently, but the first batch sent had more than 1 or 2 per 100 just based on what I have seen here in the forums. There are many who won't post are even report that problem, as the button normally still functions, just not as intened. I didn't report my problem at first, and then I saw others with the same problem, so I reported my findings and how I sddressed them. I didn't mind fixing mine, and I actually looked forward to a reason to see how my unit was put together. But no one should be expected to fix this problem if they don't want to, and they also shouldn't be expected to send it back for repairs and pay shipping for a known defect.

If there is roughly 2500 units left in the first batch, so I would say that is about 10,000 buttons that need to be checked, if speakers can be soldered, if units can be set up and prepared for boards, Pandoras can be tested and flashed with firmware, I'm sure someone can sit down and notch out these buttons. I know not every button needs to be notched, and I'm not going to say 1 person could go thru and fix these in a day, as I do not know how Craig has his line set up, but if other things are checked for quality control, the 4 face buttons defintely should. They are a key part of what makes the Pandora special(AWESOME GAMING CONTROLS). This is the 2nd or 3rd thread I have seen this problem discussed, so I would consider it a problem worth addressing more than it has been.

This is just my 2 cents, as I'm not looking to start any kind of riot, but I believe more than a passing reply should be given to this issue(The same goes for the Pandora carry case, but I'll save that for another day) ;) .

Chris

! I've ordered one... There's an issue? :mellow:
It's very tight, designed to the exact specs of the Pandora. You need to turn it inside out several times to break it in, and even then people are saying it's still a little too tight.

! I've ordered one... There's an issue? :mellow:
I had a dirty joke I was going to use to reply, but I don't want to offend anyone! ;)

The carry case is "Very Small, and Very Tight", but many don't have a problem, and others do. Just do a search, it has been discussed at length in other threads, but no real solution has been given. At least none that worked for me. :(

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll just have to wait and see then.

As long as it closes fully I don't mind a tight fit. :)

*Edit: As long as it closes without damaging my Pandora in the process!

It's very tight, designed to the exact specs of the Pandora. You need to turn it inside out several times to break it in, and even then people are saying it's still a little too tight.

We have complained to them about that. They used the EXACT measurements for the case and we told them to make them 10% bigger but they just didn't. The newer ones WILL be bigger. The current ones do work/stretch but damn it was a close call.

I bet they saved about a penny by making them the exact size rather than 10% bigger too. It's crazy how you have to keep an eye on EVERY company you do business with or they will go and do something sly.

Oh well, at least we are though the worst of it all now. Every shipped Pandora is a little relief for me. Can't wait until we start on batch2!

I have to say i never had a problem with the case.A little tight but it zips up fine and does not put undue pressure on the pandora or anything.Just my 2 cents

Disassembling the Pandora .....

is like making love to a beautiful woman. *

First of all caress the gorgeous curves in front of you. Next flip it over and have a peer at the rear. Pick you hole, slip your tool in and screw for all you're worth :lol:

I hope I never have to take mine to pieces, I can see it going all wrong.

*Copyright Swiss Tony

Back