Commander Keen Anyone?

Cbass182

Anyone know if Commander Keen would be possible through a DOS emu or by making an emulator/interpreter specifically for the game? I miss my old 166mhz Windows 3.1 computer...My Commander Keen disks went bad a long time ago too... :(

I ordered the ID software anthology though :) and playing keen once again...

Anyone who makes this possible on the GP2X will be getting donations from me for sure...

Commander Keen would sooooooooooooooooooooo rock!

I`m sure I would wet my pants if someone makes Commander Keen running in any playable way on the GP2X!

I just love Commander Keen!

I`m sure I would wet my pants if someone makes Commander Keen running in any playable way on the GP2X!

Amen to that.
I never played console games when I was young, but I was an apogee fan through and through, ever since I was 6 or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
no open source though.. you'd have to find out how ti compile the launcher into something the gp2x can recognize. if a dos emulator comes out i seriously will pay up to 100 bucks to the dev that does it. you can quote me on that.

but i looked at the wiki w.i.p. and there's nothing there for dos emulation... why is that? is it difficult? couldn't a quick port of dosbox from linux be a lot easier?

WHY WHy is noone working on it? i would learn to script so i could at least try, but unfortunately i have a life outside this forum :(

It's very early days and I think a lot of the devs are working on more fundamental things so more programs can get more out of the hardware. I imagine some sort of PC emulation will be attempted, but at the moment we can't make any predictions on when that'll happen or how well it'll work.

And I don't think the wiki shows everything that's being worked on. For example, Rlyeh and Reesy don't get mentioned on there. Don't panic!

Amen to that.
I never played console games when I was young, but I was an apogee fan through and through, ever since I was 6 or so.

i also second that... i didn't have a console until about freshman year in high school when i bought an nes... until then it was all

C:\cd keen
C:\KEEN\keen1

or
C:\cd wolf3d
C:\WOLF3D\wolf3d

keen and i go way back, keen 1 was the first game i ever beat! damn fine.

i know someone who tried to obtain a license to re-do commander keen. unfortunatly the copyright holders still refuse to do that. also they don't allow freeware remakes...

i think 3drealms is still actually selling keen, a 300 kilobyte game tops, for 15usd or something like that... bs.

Apogee is one of my all time favorite companies - all the fun they brought to me :D

Pharaoh's Tomb
Jumpman Lives!
Duke 1&2 (they would also be great!!!! on the gp2x)
Keen 1-6 + Keen Dreams
Monster Bash (just played it again a week ago - that would be so cool too)
Major Striker
Hocus Pocus
Mystik Towers
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
Secret Agent
Crystal Caves
Paganitzu
Bio Menace
Blake Stone
Raptor
Alien Carnage

Man, they sure did rock!!!!!!!!!
Someone should mail them and ask for ports/sources! Seriously!

sadly enough, i know/have all of the games listed...

i also think that you have to contact 3drealms and not apogee. apogee isn't there anymore, and 3drealms is where they're selling all the titles listed above..

Commander keen rocks!

I played them all time when I was a kid.. :)
I like the later games more though (4-6 +dreams) because the had such nice graphics..

Captain Comic is another awesome game that would be nice to see! B)

Captain Comic was Apogee too?

comic.gif

Didn`t know that!

John Carmack did Dangerous Dave, all of the Commander Keen series, Rescue Rover I and II, and the shooter game Slordax...

Don't know what else he did...

Anyone know if Commander Keen would be possible through a DOS emu or by making an emulator/interpreter specifically for the game? I miss my old 166mhz Windows 3.1 computer...My Commander Keen disks went bad a long time ago too... :(

I ordered the ID software anthology though :) and playing keen once again...

Anyone who makes this possible on the GP2X will be getting donations from me for sure...

id Software anthology? Got a link?

you could just buy the commander keen series from 3drealms... i'll get a link...

this site

it's 20 bucks, and you don't get two episodes.. kind of stupid, but whatev.

edit: you don't get keen deams or keen6: aliens ate my babysitter...

Back