Commodore 64

Ok im sold: Preeorder the C64 Maxi, also a Harmonica Learning Book and some CDs,
My Project to search and hopefully Save the Original C64 is still on, but I think as these Flobby Disk are also lost at the Moment and I can’t imagine they still work as they aren’t Commercial Copy (i was maybe 6 at this time, so I’m not responsible in this Case) , I think I can be happy if I can booth the C64 to Basic..
so the C64 Maxi is then the Play C64 , even if it’s not a Real C64

Reactions: rSl
good plan! :D
maybe you want to read here a bit too.

it's a big plus that it comes in a nice new ovp and has usb power, hdmi out etc.
when using the original c64, you nearly always need a new psu, as the old ones are known to destroy the c64 pretty often. then there is the "problem" with
connecting to modern lcd displays. you can go composite connection if the display supports it, but it's blurry, so you want s-video out. in the end a nice
upscaler is "needed" to get the good picture on lcd etc... i got an retrotink-2x scaler, love it, but it's 90€ alone, add a new psu 50€, an sd2iec 50€ etc...

but i think the disks should work fine. 5 1/4" dd disks are known to be pretty time-proof. that your sister eventually had copied games should be no problem, technically they should work fine. from a legal angle, this should be pretty ok by now too. just check gb64 and friends. :cool:

Last edited:
So -
- Find the C64
- Clean it up,
- Enjoy it, but don’t start unless I buy a new PSU??
I can’t work whit Welding, so change the PSU isn’t a Option..

So I will be happy to look at the Original Hardware whyle I use the C64 Maxi for Giana Sisters??

It could work with original PSU if the original PSU is not broken and not supply too much current to the C64.
Before use the old PSU go check if supply the right current/volts.

or maybe get this overvolt protector. minor issue, it costs somehow the same as a new psu. xD
problem with the original psu's is that they do not fail gracefully like most other psu's out there, but will overvolt the board when failing.
nevertheless for a short testrun it is ok to use the old psu as it is, i would say. (if it's not known broken, of course)

ah, and the psu is external, no need to open the computer.

Last edited:
or maybe get this overvolt protector. minor issue, it costs somehow the same as a new psu. xD
problem with the original psu's is that they do not fail gracefully like most other psu's out there, but will overvolt the board when failing.
nevertheless for a short testrun it is ok to use the old psu as it is, i would say. (if it's not known broken, of course)

ah, and the psu is external, no need to open the computer.

Just a fuse in there?

Probably just a voltage regulator. I'm not sure of how the PSU fails to give you overvoltage, on what lines and by how much though, so it might require a little more to protect your venerable breadbox.

Also, if you enjoy your C64 you could get an ultimate64 board, although I don't know off hand if that requires a functional C64 PSU to operate, or you could wait for the Mega65.

gladly the ultimate64 uses a newstyle barrel-plug psu, no need for the old ones.

Just a fuse in there?

i guess it's also using a mini switching relay.
i have the larger one with these components

IMG_1090.JPG

and it makes a nice 'klack' when powering on or off. love it!

Last edited:
Probably just a voltage regulator. I'm not sure of how the PSU fails to give you overvoltage, on what lines and by how much though, so it might require a little more to protect your venerable breadbox.

here is an explanation, i think they work all more or less the same
This over-voltage protection unit is designed to prevent damage to the Commodore 64 computer due to a failing power supply. One of the ways the Commodore "brick" power supply can fail is from a shorted internal 5 volt regulator. That fault puts excessive voltage into the computer and damages chips such as RAM very quickly... and silently. The Saver protector is essentially a fast-acting electronic circuit breaker. It functions to quickly cut off the 5 volt supply line to the computer if the voltage exceeds about 5.4 volts. It is not a "crowbar" device but opens the line from the supply to the computer before the voltage gets high enough to do damage. That's the safest way to do it. After-market power supplies, even switching types, can fail at any time. Switchers are more reliable and much less prone to catastrophic failures but can still cause damage to the computer if they fail. This Saver is designed to protect any computer that uses the standard Commodore "brick" power supply as well as any newer switch-mode PS. Computers include all versions of the C64, the later CR version of the VIC20, and the Plus/4. Because of its square power connector, an external Saver is possible for the Plus/4 but its power socket would have to be changed to the round C64 version because four pin square DIN connectors are not available. - Ray Carlsen

source: https://github.com/SukkoPera/OpenC64Saver

Ah, so it's not the famous case of leaking caps (although that more commonly affects stuff made in the 90s), it's perhaps due to tin whiskers or something? Otherwise I can't figure out how a component with originally separate terminals could end up shorted. Voltage regulators do generate heat but they're usually designed not to get hot enough to melt solder.

Actually, I recall hearing that some peculiar diode types actually fail in a way to short themselves out, unlike capacitors that spill their guts and dry out, or more normal diode types that just basically fall apart when they finally fail on you. I just can't remember what type of diode it is that does that. So it might not be a physical short, at least on the macro scale.

Thats maybe to many Informations, i dont have a Electronical Background, i could open my Pandora to fix the Shoulderbuttons, but if something more divicult then screw some screws, im off..

I think i will search the C64, clean it up, and let its alone as a cool PC only to look at.., the C64 Maxxi should be my Play C64 and the Pyra my Play and Work PC..

Also: its not even clear that i will find this Thing..

Saw the image in another thread, here is the "review", enjoy:
Post automatically merged:

So where did S-Express get their baseline from for "Theme of S-Express" 1988?

From this demo released in 1987:

Last edited:
Didn't know Ben Heck still had a channel, after he quit the Ben Heck Show and it got rebranded. Anyway, stumbled onto this...

Unfortunately, I canceled mine because I thought about it’s use, and as I first have to pay for the rest of the Pyra, and have more than enough games in my Backlog, I think It’s have to wait until I finished at least the Halo Masterchief Collection on Xbox One..

Also: my favorite C64 Game isn’t even preeinstalled, so I have to use my Roms anyway..
And there is this Amiga Romhack of Giana Sisters whit Sprites from the DS Game ^^

Back