Commodore Returns....

saehn posted on Mar 10 2007 at 05:26 PM said:
From TFA:

The new Commodore PCs optimised for gaming will be launched at the CeBIT show in Germany on March 15 and attendees will be offered the chance to play the latest PC games using the purpose-built PCs.

Jeez, fellas. ;)
Sounds like a normal PC with a mega CPU, GFX and memory. Tailored OS to remove unwanted services that usually take up resources, i.e. Automatic Updates, Desktop icon tool etc.

I was hoping for a new machine with a good ole Commodore OS, or at least a nice front end like Intuition running Direct X. LOL not gonna happen.

But seeing as nothing has been released yet, I may still get my retro wish.. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Blah posted on Mar 10 2007 at 09:32 PM said:
I guess AROS isn't good enough for them.
Was AROS ever official?

I thought the Amiga used Intuition as the ROM based widgets and Workbench as the loaded OS from disk.

Not heard of Aros as any official thing. I may be wrong, please let me know :)

Not really official (though they have no real problem with it), and some AROS code did end up in the last AmigaOS, but only becuase its open source (=free beer).

WarmFluffyUK posted on Mar 10 2007 at 04:25 PM said:
I was hoping for a new machine with a good ole Commodore OS, or at least a nice front end like Intuition running Direct X. LOL not gonna happen.

Have you heard about Jeri Ellsworth's C-one computer? It uses core emulation to obtain highly cycle-exact emulation of the target machine. Here's a link: http://c64upgra.de/c-one/s_about.htm

craigix posted on Mar 11 2007 at 09:06 PM said:
I wonder if anyone ever will make an all new computer ever again with custom hardware etc.

Would be nice wouldn't it, imagine if something as far ahead of the pack as the Acorn Archimedes was at the time turned up now, say...

fluffyhamster posted on Mar 15 2007 at 10:01 PM said:
Just seems like another computer company :( .
yeah, who would take a dive to create something original now a days when Microsoft is just a huge monopoly (ignoring Linux and other F/OSS projects)

DemonStar55 posted on Mar 16 2007 at 02:30 AM said:
fluffyhamster posted on Mar 15 2007 at 10:01 PM said:
Just seems like another computer company :( .
yeah, who would take a dive to create something original now a days when Microsoft is just a huge monopoly (ignoring Linux and other F/OSS projects)
It's a real shame, I was hoping for something more than just another PC running Vista in a nice looking box :(

That is a *nice* looking box... Its a very big box though...I think the future is small. From what I've seen though, Mini-ITX isn't good enough for serious stuff yet.

I don't care though...this laptop does the job.

Back