Compatibility With Apple Wireless Inputs

shill

Still Fresh
Is this possible? From what I remember, both the Apple keyboard and Magic mouse are bluetooth. I'd love to use both of these on the Pandora. Thanks in advance!

Depends if they are proprietary to Apple.

Do they work with normal PCs? If no, probably not.

If Apple officially support them on the PC, probably not.
If they work with Linux, probably yes.

If they are generic bluetooth devices or the driver/etc required to use them has been reverse engineered and up and running under Linux, they'll work.

http://www.organicdesign.co.nz/Apple_wireless_keyboard_on_Linux

That's what I have so far. What do you think?

EDIT: I'm not familiar with running Linux whatsoever, so forgive my newbness.

iBrew said:
http://www.organicdesign.co.nz/Apple_wireless_keyboard_on_Linux

That's what I have so far. What do you think?
That means that the keyboard is fully compatible with Linux, but that it requires BT bonding (as do most secure bluetooth devices).
You won't have to use the command line on the Pandora like in that example; you should just be able to choose the keyboard from a drop down menu, and then you just have to type e.g. "1234<enter>" on the keyboard, followed by "1234"(same code as what you typed on the keyboard) in the dialog that pops up in the Pandora. This procedure is required to prove that your keyboard in fact should be connected to the Pandora, and not to some other random device, and is also necessary to establish protocol encryption so that someone with a radio antenna can't "listen" to what you type.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! These would be great additions to the Pandora when I'm at home. Thanks for your help.

Nightwheel said:
Magic Mouse has just recently been able to work under a normal windows install. Due to someone extracting the magic mouse driver out of bootcamp.
Yeah, remember that the Magic Mouse isn't the same as the keyboard. I have no idea whether the mouse will work.

Probably won't work until someone writes a Linux driver for it, which probably will take a while. It's only available on Windows already because Apple wrote Windows drivers for it for Mac owners using bootcamp.

aesir911 said:
What bluetooth mouses and keyboards will work with the pandora?
Let me just find my 1200 page long book that lists all bluetooth keyboard and mice...

Tokiopop said:
aesir911 said:
Let me just find my 1200 page long book that lists all bluetooth keyboard and mice...
My thoughts exactly...

Hey, look on the bright side. We've got it good right now, just wait 'till it's out!

(naw)mcx said:
Tokiopop said:
aesir911 said:
My thoughts exactly...

Hey, look on the bright side. We've got it good right now, just wait 'till it's out!

so they apparently all work (besides apple brand)?

aesir911 said:
At a guess, any that don't need extra drivers. :p Really, though, the best way to find out will be to see what other people say once they get their Pandoras and start testing things out.

I'm afraid I can't help there, as I have no Bluetooth items of any sort. :p (I do have a bunch of other stuff ready to test, though.)

I have used my Apple remote keyboard (Bluetooth) with the following devices:

- OpenMoko Freerunner
- Touchbook
- Beagleboard

.. you will notice that these are OpenEmbedded-based devices. I predict that it will be very easy to use the BT keyboard with the Pandora once its released, we just need to have the tools onboard to set up the bonding.

Excellent, I was using one of these at work the other day and thought it would be great to use one on my Pandora (or anything else really). Glad to see it's just Bluetooth and not proprietary (well, any more than BT itself is).

aesir911 said:
so they apparently all work (besides apple brand)?
There is a standard profile for Bluetooth input devices, so any devices that follow those standards will work fine.
I'd imagine even many apple ones will work fine, the "magic mouse" is an exception due to its multi-touch interface, which likely couldn't be done under the standards.

Back