Complete Noob Questions

Vince2501

Looked around on the Wiki page and elsewhere and couldn't really find an answer to my questions. So pardon me if I come off as a newb:

For my budget, I've been looking to keep it around $200 or so. So is the new GP2X bundle pack entirely necessary? To me, purchasing a slightly older model and then updating the firmware to 2.1.1 or so would be no problem. Or am I mistaken and there's something horribly wrong with the older firmware, and that's why so many flock to the latest preloaded model? I could care less about the games on the CD (I would be completely content with Metal Slug on the go), and the TV OUT cable is pretty low on my priorities. Plus the AC Adapter doesn't interest me as I all ready have rechargeable batteries.

Ideally; I would like one 4GB SD Card and one 2GB SD Card. The 4GB would be holding namely music, movies, and whatever. Whereas the 2GB would hold MAME, and other Emu's. Now, I'm looking at the Platinum 4GB card, would I have any problems getting the 4GB to work with the latest firmware?

Now, with Neo Geo Emulation the only thing that concerns me is having to use the Dumpgfx utility for LARGE files such as Metal Slug 3, KOF 03, etc. Is this utility especially hard to utilize? Because the instant I hear of ripping ISO files and such, I'm at a loss. Not that I'm illiterate at this stuff, but the more complex programming throws me off. It's not a big deal for me, but I'd like to know the depths of it beforehand.

Thank you, gp32_console

PS: One last question; can this unit go on the net yet? I've read of a USB attachment for a Keyboard/Mouse and that there's some sort of PDA download that can take you on the net. One follow up; if this unit CAN go on the net, how would that work? Is there a plug in on the unit for just such a thing, or some such?

No need for the value pack, but it will be a little bit hard finding the older ordinary pack (which can be upgraded to/already have firmware 2.1.1).
If your budget is only $200, I dont think you will be even able to get the unit with one 4 GB SD card, do not forget to add the shipping (if you were able to get such a deal, post it here please, it will be considered an insane one).
Now, you have to make sure that your rechargables are NiMh 2300 MA or higher.
I have a 4 GB SD, and it works perfectly, it should for you too (unless you get one of those newer SDHC cards).
I don't think it is that hard with Neo Geo, but if you are a little bit lazy, you can just google the words "gp2x torrent" and you will find your cure ;)

It can and it can't, it was done as a proof of concept by some members, but it is not good enough to be considered usable, the USB attachement is called the break-out board (BOB) and the PDA app is called Qtopia. If you are buying the GP2X for the internet connectivity then you are out of luck.
Welcome to the community :)
Edit: typo

Vince2501 posted on Mar 25 2007 at 11:24 AM said:
Looked around on the Wiki page and elsewhere and couldn't really find an answer to my questions. So pardon me if I come off as a newb:

For my budget, I've been looking to keep it around $200 or so. So is the new GP2X bundle pack entirely necessary? To me, purchasing a slightly older model and then updating the firmware to 2.1.1 or so would be no problem. Or am I mistaken and there's something horribly wrong with the older firmware, and that's why so many flock to the latest preloaded model? I could care less about the games on the CD (I would be completely content with Metal Slug on the go), and the TV OUT cable is pretty low on my priorities. Plus the AC Adapter doesn't interest me as I all ready have rechargeable batteries.

Ideally; I would like one 4GB SD Card and one 2GB SD Card. The 4GB would be holding namely music, movies, and whatever. Whereas the 2GB would hold MAME, and other Emu's. Now, I'm looking at the Platinum 4GB card, would I have any problems getting the 4GB to work with the latest firmware?

Now, with Neo Geo Emulation the only thing that concerns me is having to use the Dumpgfx utility for LARGE files such as Metal Slug 3, KOF 03, etc. Is this utility especially hard to utilize? Because the instant I hear of ripping ISO files and such, I'm at a loss. Not that I'm illiterate at this stuff, but the more complex programming throws me off. It's not a big deal for me, but I'd like to know the depths of it beforehand.

Thank you, gp32_console

PS: One last question; can this unit go on the net yet? I've read of a USB attachment for a Keyboard/Mouse and that there's some sort of PDA download that can take you on the net. One follow up; if this unit CAN go on the net, how would that work? Is there a plug in on the unit for just such a thing, or some such?

In my opinion the most important is the GP2X of course, the AC adapter (because batteries runs out fast, especially if you overclock, what you will need for NeoGeo), and carrying case!
Buy a TV-Out if you want to
Then go to the shop, buy yourself a SD Card and a set of batteries with charger (2500mAh or more) and then you'll have what you need ;)

The firmware can be upgraded without problem (at least if you do not have a VERY old firmware :) )

And for the roms, you can find packs of pre-made emulators and rompacks on some evil website I am not allowed to tell the name :ph34r: So you won't have to use DUmpGFX. Plus the fact tat GnGeo has a built-in rom dumper, which works quite automatically on loading, so the Windows version is only for roms that do not work with GnGeo's rom dumper

And technically, yes the GP2X can go on the net, but if that's what you want, buy yourself a PDA, PSP or DS or whatever you want, beause GP2X has no built-in wireless network, so you'll need to get the breakout board (which provides USB plugs) and manage to get a USB wireless adapter working... You could ever do USB network, but that would be of no use, since you'll have to be connected to a PC, itself connected to the internet :)

edit: erf, sehs spread the forbidden word o:) No matter what batteries you have, I strongly recommand you to throw a few bucks in an AC adapter, because it REALLY is usefull ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone with basic knowledge about the DOS commandline can use Dumpgfx.

If you want to save money, have a look at ebay, maybe you can find an older unused unit.

for the record, only use known-working 4gb sd cards

i have a sandisk one that won't work in gp2x unless you boot it twice within a short period of time. do not buy SDHC cards either, they don't work

this happens because the sd spec only really goes to 2gb, any 4gb sd non-sdhc card is not-really-standards-compliant

i personally bought new, so i knew i wasnt getting someone's ebay second hand goods, and i was assured of something that's the latest version

you have the brains to ask the question and construct a sentence, you have the brains to get neogeo emulation setup. it's easy as :)

If you're trying to save money, dont bother with an AC adaptor. I bought one with my machine and only every used it once before forgetting about it. If you have 4 batteries you can have two in the unit and two charging and you should be fine (just dont leave saving in games to more than an hour :p )

Godmil posted on Mar 25 2007 at 01:19 PM said:
If you're trying to save money, dont bother with an AC adaptor. I bought one with my machine and only every used it once before forgetting about it. If you have 4 batteries you can have two in the unit and two charging and you should be fine (just dont leave saving in games to more than an hour :p )

Or you can plug the AC adapter and don't bother about battery life, overclocking and charging...
GP2X battery life is not as good as DS, and a good charging can take up to 15 hours!
But of course if you ONLY want to play on the move, an AC adapter won't be of much use :)

reiboul posted on Mar 25 2007 at 01:23 PM said:
GP2X battery life is not as good as DS, and a good charging can take up to 15 hours!

I just have an 8 pack of rechargeables and charge them overnight/while I'm away playing the GP2X, etc.

Unless you play ALL day for EVERY single day of the week, it works just fine. :)

reiboul posted on Mar 25 2007 at 06:23 AM said:
Godmil posted on Mar 25 2007 at 01:19 PM said:

Or you can plug the AC adapter and don't bother about battery life, overclocking and charging...
But of course if you ONLY want to play on the move, an AC adapter won't be of much use :)
[sarcasm]Yes, I hate so much the 3 and 4 hours of battery life at 250mhz I get from the $10 charger I use that charges fully in 8 hours every time.[/sarcasm]

And you can see my 3 cell battery test thread where I show you how to add a single AA cell and get 5:40 of run-time at 250mhz (6:17 @200mhz) for a single-AA $0.99 battery clip.

Just advise him to get the Duracell or Energizer pack with a charger that everyone has. Or whatever is inexpensive where he lives.

See my Sig on the USB. You can buy the official BoB at any of the shops, but it sucks (if you don't need Jtag and serial and a USB hub, and no included power supply), so you can build your own very easily.

You can use a different AC adaptor than the overpriced "official" one, just as long as its 3Vdc and center negative.

I have a AC adaptor but I don't use it much as the plug gets in the way of my thumb and I can recharge my "emergency" batteries in 15 minutes.

Thanks, but I still have one question that hasn't really been answered:

Let's say I get a unit that has very old firmware, what is the worst that could happen should I try to update the firmware?

And... just what is the name of this evil website? A PM would be nice, but I may just try the torrent suggestion.

Vince2501 posted on Mar 27 2007 at 11:30 PM said:

Let's say I get a unit that has very old firmware, what is the worst that could happen should I try to update the firmware?

And... just what is the name of this evil website? A PM would be nice, but I may just try the torrent suggestion.

With the oldest firmwares you may brick youre GP2X while upgrading. It may not be a great chance, but there's still a risk. However, i don't think you will find such old firmware even on Ebay but who knows?
I think any firmware over 1.4 should be safe, but I don't really know as I wasn't there then :)

And for the 'evil website', just google with keywords 'gp2X torrent' ;)

Vince2501 posted on Mar 27 2007 at 09:30 PM said:

The worst that could happen is that you 'brick' your GP2x (i.e. make it useless) by upgrading the firmware on weak batteries that cut out in the middle of the update. If you use freshly recharged batteries and follow the instructions for the upgrade you are doing you will be fine though, as 99.9% (made up statistic) of us have found.

Phew, good to know about that. I just found that site, awsome. :D

One last question. I'm looking at amazon for 4GB SD cards, would I have any problems with:

Transcend High-Speed Secure Digital Card (150x)-4GB

OEM 4GB Turbo High Speed 150x Secure Digital (SD) Card BULK

Transcend 4GB SD Card MLC

KingMax 4GB 60X SD Card

or the KINGMAX 4GB SD CARD M-SERIES?

Never mind, it seems like Transcend is the better model (plus they go for a steal on Ebay).

One last question (for real) is it possible to watch Flash movies (through Newgrounds.com) on the GP2X. I know the PSP can do it, and Nintendo's working on a browser for the DS, but I remain curious for the GP2X. Not terribly important to me, but it would be nice to catch Retarded Animal Babies on the go.

No good flash players for the GP2X... if you can find a video version of the file it's easy to transcode to a format you can view though.

Vince2501 posted on Mar 29 2007 at 01:19 AM said:
Never mind, it seems like Transcend is the better model (plus they go for a steal on Ebay).

One last question (for real) is it possible to watch Flash movies (through Newgrounds.com) on the GP2X. I know the PSP can do it, and Nintendo's working on a browser for the DS, but I remain curious for the GP2X. Not terribly important to me, but it would be nice to catch Retarded Animal Babies on the go.

GP2X have got some Flash players, but I think they are quite slow (haven't tried them).
I would say, don't expect too much :) it's probably doable, but not yet done

And for cards, most SD cards (non-SDHC) should work, that means most cards up to 2Go, and some 4Go cards
SD card compatibility is no more an issue, unless someone proves me wrong

ive got a transcend 4gb sd (not HC) mine sort of works it formats you can copy files to it and use it, but it get corrupted ever 5 mins.
ive just brought a 2gb kingston card and this has not got corrupted once yet, the same as a 512mb kingston card i have, thats been 100% reliable also more than i can say for my 4GB trascend card.

nick123 said:
ive got a transcend 4gb sd (not HC) mine sort of works it formats you can copy files to it and use it, but it get corrupted ever 5 mins.
ive just brought a 2gb kingston card and this has not got corrupted once yet, the same as a 512mb kingston card i have, thats been 100% reliable also more than i can say for my 4GB trascend card.

Very last question. (I found a post that may have addressed this but I can't find it) how can I tell an SD and an SDHC card apart?

They bear different logos. Also check the Wikipedia about SD cards, it explains some of the incompatibilities.
120px-SD-Logo.svg.png
vs
80px-SDHC-Logo.svg.png

Back